Torque Converter or Tranny issue? 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cb540

Reaction score
I have a 2003 w/ 5.4 Triton

On cold startups (mornings) the vehicle doesn't seem to want to go much over ~15/1700 rpms right away. I will crank, usually let the engine settle back down to idle, put in Reverse, back out of driveway, make it to the end of the street to the stop sign and as soon as I stop and the RPMs drop I can feel it.

It's like the TC or the tranny is not turning and it bogs the enigne. If I give it throttle it doesnt want to go much over 15/1700 RPM and the vehicle REALLY doesnt want to move. I have to either let off the gas and sit for a minute at idle or I have to shift to Neutral and back to Drive.

After that it works fine all day. I can let it sit at work in sub freezing temps all day and it wont do it again until the next morning

Some times, more rarely, the car vehicle will rev up just fine, but just not want to shift out of 1st gear. This happens a lot less than the above scenario. I feel like it depends on just HOW cold it's been overnight.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how many miles?
have you checked your trans fluid level? when was the last time it was serviced?
what other service has been completed lately, or is lacking?

try backing into the driveway at night and pulling out the next day to see if you experience the same phenom.

OP
OP
C

cb540

Reaction score
how many miles?
have you checked your trans fluid level? when was the last time it was serviced?
what other service has been completed lately, or is lacking?

try backing into the driveway at night and pulling out the next day to see if you experience the same phenom.

fluid levels are fine but I haven't changed it in a while, in fact I dont know that I've changed it since I've had it. I got it around 85k miles and it has almost 130k now so that is probably due for a change. It hasn't done it all weekend, we've been in the 50's 60's and not the teens like the weeks prior (virginia weather lol). It only seems to be an issue when it's really cold

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you run computer for any codes? Sounds like a front pump in trans. A torque converter should act up all the time. Run codes and report back. Also this goes without saying, but check fluid levels in transmission! Cold weather brings out engine/transmission issues more than warm weather.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk