Towing 27' Power Boat With 2018 Expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John151

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum, and new to Expeditions.

I am considering purchasing a 2018 Expy with HD tow package to drag my 27' boat around. The boat and trailer weigh 8,500 to 9,000 lbs. Trailer is tandem axle with disc/surge brakes on all 4 wheels.

Looking to tow mostly in the upper Midwest (level ground) and for distances of 50 to 250 miles (no cross country trips).

I have some towing experience, but not a lot (I tow a few times a year max, typically short distances, easy conditions), and mostly with smaller boats (18' - 22') and small cargo trailers. I have never pulled such a large or heavy trailer, so looking for input on if the Expedition would be a good choice, as well as set ups, concerns, options,etc.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum, and new to Expeditions.

I am considering purchasing a 2018 Expy with HD tow package to drag my 27' boat around. The boat and trailer weigh 8,500 to 9,000 lbs. Trailer is tandem axle with disc/surge brakes on all 4 wheels.

Looking to tow mostly in the upper Midwest (level ground) and for distances of 50 to 250 miles (no cross country trips).

I have some towing experience, but not a lot (I tow a few times a year max, typically short distances, easy conditions), and mostly with smaller boats (18' - 22') and small cargo trailers. I have never pulled such a large or heavy trailer, so looking for input on if the Expedition would be a good choice, as well as set ups, concerns, options,etc.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. You would need a weight distribution hitch to handle that much weight. The Expy can tow the weight but your near the limit. I tow a 5000 lb. boat and trailer and have no issues at all. Some other guys may be able to give you more advice on towing your weight. You may also consider getting a slip. It makes boating a lot easier with a big boat. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

John151

Reaction score
You may also consider getting a slip. It makes boating a lot easier with a big boat.

LOL, I already have a slip, and that is where all of my problems started. Had a 22' boat that I could tow easily, then got a slip (11' x 30'), then decided to get a larger boat for the slip. Was targeting 24' to 25' in length, but ended up with the 27' boat (long story). Love the boat and the slip, but want to take an occasional jaunt in Lake Michigan, Green Bay, or may be the Ozarks.

My understanding of WD hitches is they aren't compatible with surge brakes (or vice versa)? If so, then I would surely need to add electric brakes to the trailer.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL, I already have a slip, and that is where all of my problems started. Had a 22' boat that I could tow easily, then got a slip (11' x 30'), then decided to get a larger boat for the slip. Was targeting 24' to 25' in length, but ended up with the 27' boat (long story). Love the boat and the slip, but want to take an occasional jaunt in Lake Michigan, Green Bay, or may be the Ozarks.

My understanding of WD hitches is they aren't compatible with surge brakes (or vice versa)? If so, then I would surely need to add electric brakes to the trailer.

I know the feeling of how boats mysteriously grow over the years. The biggest boat I had was a 28 footer with twin 231 HP Volvo Duroprop and I kept it in a slip. I sold that about 10 years ago but I got the bug a few years later and decided to buy a 21" Cuddy and trailer it. My wife gave me all kinds of grief but I bought it anyway. I'm retired so I go during the week when the launch ramps aren't as busy. Been boating over 40 years. Damn, time goes too fast.

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
Check the tongue weight. All the boats I have had or helped others with did not have a crazy tongue weight, unlike campers or enclosed trailers.
So you might not need to worry about a weight dist hitch. My last 2 boat trailers would not work with a hitch anyway due to there layout / shape. They had a straight part that goes back 2 or 3 feet before flaring out towards the sides and going back to the wheels.

I have a big pontoon and it does not pull well. It is similar to our camper with its wind catching manners.
A power boat / sport boat should be more aerodynamic and be a little easier to pull.

You might be able to rent a 2018 Expy and try it out towing.

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

John151

Reaction score
I know the feeling of how boats mysteriously grow over the years. The biggest boat I had was a 28 footer with twin 231 HP Volvo Duroprop and I kept it in a slip. I sold that about 10 years ago but I got the bug a few years later and decided to buy a 21" Cuddy and trailer it. My wife gave me all kinds of grief but I bought it anyway. I'm retired so I go during the week when the launch ramps aren't as busy. Been boating over 40 years. Damn, time goes too fast.

Your story reminds me of he guy who boat my last boat last spring. He really liked my boat, but said his wife wanted a pontoon. He bought my boat anyway. This fall, I noticed my old boat was for sale on CL. I have not spoken with the guy, but I am guessing he is looking for a pontoon boat now.

OP
OP
J

John151

Reaction score
Check the tongue weight. All the boats I have had or helped others with did not have a crazy tongue weight, unlike campers or enclosed trailers.
So you might not need to worry about a weight dist hitch. My last 2 boat trailers would not work with a hitch anyway due to there layout / shape. They had a straight part that goes back 2 or 3 feet before flaring out towards the sides and going back to the wheels.

I have a big pontoon and it does not pull well. It is similar to our camper with its wind catching manners.
A power boat / sport boat should be more aerodynamic and be a little easier to pull.

You might be able to rent a 2018 Expy and try it out towing.

Good luck.

Good point. A well balance boat trailer is a very different animal than a cargo or travel trailer, since most of the weigh is at the back of the trailer. I wonder if I can rent a scale to measure the tongue weight?

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your story reminds me of he guy who boat my last boat last spring. He really liked my boat, but said his wife wanted a pontoon. He bought my boat anyway. This fall, I noticed my old boat was for sale on CL. I have not spoken with the guy, but I am guessing he is looking for a pontoon boat now.

That's funny. In my case my wife was dead set against me buying another boat and it caused a lot of arguments. I though to myself I'm not getting any younger and if I don't get it now, then when. I bought the boat 7 years ago and still have it. By the way the wife is still here too.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
As long as you are under the weight limits set by Ford, you probably will do good. I tow a 6500 pound set up (tractor on 18' trailer), and haul it across the Sierra Nevada mountains at 65 mph on a somewhat windy but high speed road. This road is very steep in places and climbs to 7500 feet. This is the only real workout my Expy has ever had, and it feels like it is working, but not strained.

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
Thought I should clarify -
When I said the pontoon does not pull well, I meant the boat/trailer has bad towing characteristics due to the pontoon shape catching so much wind.
The Expy has plenty of power and muscles through the wind issues the boat setup has.
Just a note, the boat/trailer is around 3500 to 4000 pounds and the trailer is not setup with brakes. The Expy has no issues with stopping or the boat pushing in corners.