Towing a 2011 behind my motorhome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splinter80

Reaction score
i am interested in towing my expedition behind my motorhome. It has the selectable 2 x 4 wd. But no neutral position

What would have to be done to tow it 4 wheels down?

Thanks

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
*If even possible* you would need a driveshaft quick disconnect installed to keep the driveshaft from spinning transmission internals, which will happen even if the gear selector is in Neutral. The Expedition needs to have the engine running for the transmission pump to be running otherwise. Remco is the leader on quick driveshaft disconnects and they don't list anything for the 07+ Expedition but interestingly enough they list a kit for the 2004 - maybe because of the transmission change. I also looked at Blue Ox, who makes a pretty good base plate to mount to the front and they don't make anything for the Expedition either. So a solid strike 2 right there.

Or you would need to slide underneath and pull the u-joint at the rear diff each time you tow, strap the driveshaft to the side, then reinstall everything each time you want to drive the Expedition. I think the front hubs would be disengaged 100% and would roll just fine. Plus you'd need to have a shop fab up a tow bar rig. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

2011 Expedition really isn't the right truck. Find a something else or rent when you get there. Enterprise will drive to most campgrounds if there is an Enterprise office nearby. Maybe consider a Jeep.

Motorhome.com produces a yearly list of flat tow cars, so if you consider trading the Expedition or another vehicle you own for a something-else, you'll know what vehicles to consider by year produced:

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
2015 and up Expeditions are listed as flat-towable...

Good luck

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i am interested in towing my expedition behind my motorhome. It has the selectable 2 x 4 wd. But no neutral position

What would have to be done to tow it 4 wheels down?

Thanks

Maybe tow the motorhome with the expedition instead?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe tow the motorhome with the expedition instead?

Now that is the advice I would expect from someone that had his head in his A$$ or didn't know how to use his brain Sure put your foot in your mouth this time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357