Towing jargon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Many people have no idea how to determine what they're vehicle can tow. Using your owners manual or manufacturers towing guide is the best way to get an idea. You may even find the info you need on a sticker in the glovebox, on the inside edge of your door, or under the hood.

There are many factors which determine your vehicles towing ability like wheelbase, engine size, rear axle ratio, etc. There are also alot of terms out there that can be very confusing. So I have put together this list to help you understand their meanings.

GVW: Gross Vehicle Weight - the actual weight of a vehicle.

GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: The maximum allowed GVW for a vehicle.

GCW: Gross Combined Weight: The total weight of everything - tow vehicle, trailer, etc.

GCWR: The maximum allowed GCW.

GAW: The Gross Axle Weight (front or rear) - the amount of weight on that particular axle.

GAWR: The Gross Axle Weight Rating (front or rear) - The maximum allowed GAW.

UVW: Unloaded Vehicle Weight - also know as "Dry Weight" or "Curb Weight". This is the weight your vehicle. Check your owners manual to determine what that includes. (may include full tank of gas and driver). UVW is also used for the weight of a trailer with no liquids or options. The GVW of the trailer will usually be 500-2000 pounds more than this number.

CCC: Cargo Carrying Capacity - GVWR minus the UVW. CCC is the weight of all personal belongings, food, fresh water, LP gas, tools, dealer-installed accessories, the battery and any and all camping gear you will carry.

Tow Rating: The rated towing capacity of a tow vehicle - generally based upon curb weight plus one 150-lb driver. This number is NOT designed as an indicator of what you can tow under normal conditions, but it is useful for comparisons. Usually the number given by the manufacturer is "when properly equipped" meaning you have a towing package, weight distribution hitch, and sway control when applicable.

* Actual towing capacity is usually less than the tow rating, or, to be more accurate, it's GCWR-GVW.

Note: The thing to remember is that neither GVWR nor GCWR can be exceeded safely.

Tire Ratings: The maximum load the tires are rated to carry, which like other ratings should not be exceeded. Especially important when buying replacements.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Small but important point:

UVW (unloaded vehicle weight) is not the same as Dry Weight.

Dry Weight is fictional and (in a camper) represents the weight before any factory options went on like the air conditioner, awning, spare tire and carrier, etc.

Because these options are seldom omitted from these trailers the only purpose of Dry Weight is to make the trailer appear 350 pounds lighter than it is. Dry Weight is used by camper salesmen to sell you a trailer too heavy for your minivan to tow.

UVW is listed on the data sticker inside under the sink of a camper and is the "curb" weight before the dealer adds anything to the trailer.

Maxium towing capacity is just that and is computed with only a 150 pound driver in the vehicle. It drops pound for pound with any load carried in the vehicle. A 6000 pound max-rated Expedition with 4 passengers and a full cargo load can easily have 1000 extra pounds on board, reducing the towing capacity to 5000 pounds. Even if you don't think you'll neet it, order the HD towing package on any vehicle where it's available.

-- Chuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
JUST4FUN

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Very good Chuck, thanks keep the info coming. and i did get this from Great Lakes popup club

shocker1

Reaction score
ya ok!

ok so just couse im not sure what you said can i ask ......i have an 04 /4.7 4x4 stock hight like what can i tow comfortably

= a 20 foot boat
= a 24 foot sport trailer ( the ones you sleep in)
= two quads on a trailer

sorry it just makes more sence to me this way:confused:

OP
OP
JUST4FUN

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
WHAT GEAR DO YOU HAVE?
the weight of trailer dry and loaded

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JUST4FUN, hey I am the moderator for the towing section of the Explorer Forum. I'd love to copy and paste you're first post here for a sticky in the Explorer Forum, if thats ok with you.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

Doyle Adams

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Expedition King Ranch Max. I pulled a trailer, it shows to be disconnected on dash display. But every since then my dash display comes up when the vehicle is started with the attached pic. I have to change it back to my favorites every time I start vehicle. can you tell me how to fix this?

upload_2020-10-27_18-37-7.jpeg

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Expedition King Ranch Max. I pulled a trailer, it shows to be disconnected on dash display. But every since then my dash display comes up when the vehicle is started with the attached pic. I have to change it back to my favorites every time I start vehicle. can you tell me how to fix this?

View attachment 38713

Make sure your towing is set to ‘No Active Trailer’. If not, you will always get this screen.

To prevent this in the future, I think the only way is to leave the vehicle running when you unplug the trailer. This will see it is officially disconnected and allow you to utilize your favorite screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01