Towing & mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2003 Expy would get 8 mpg towing my 6000 lb boat and 6 mpg towing a 6500 lb travel trailer. New 2016 is getting 10.9 mpg towing the boat and 19.5 mpg, no trailer.
brick

stimpson.j.cat

Reaction score
That is a great question. Obviously, it is safer to drive at 65 or less but oftentimes that is not a safe option.

The stock tires were Loadstar ST175/80D-13 and rated for 65mph. These are taskmaster TTWTRTM1758013C bought at etrailer.com w/ speed rating N (87 mph). Carlisle also makes a high-speed trailer tire called radial trail HD, not sure if they are N or L rated. Goodyear makes a marathon radial w/ load range C and speed L (75 mph).

Some people go w/ LT tires and higher load rating to compensate for thinner sidewalls and trailer sway. That would probably work for me also as my load is not very heavy. But I would have to modify the wheel wells and axles.

PS - I grew up near Hershey, PA and worked in a greenhouse near Manheim in high school. Am familiar w/ Mt. Joy.