Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Seda

Reaction score
I have a 97 expedition Eddie Bauer with the 5.4 and a 3.31 ratio. I’m planning on towing a sedan on a U-Haul trailer from Arizona to Florida. How do you think it will do? Any tips?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be fine, just be sure to check all three fluids, oil/coolant/ and most important trans fluid. Don't strain engine at high speeds, 55 mph is max anyway with trailer. Leave overdrive off on any grades.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
++ on what Moose said.

I manually shifted mine on steep grades and held rpms to 3500. I upgraded my trans pan (mag-hytec) and it holds and extra 8 qts.

cruise control may act weird as it tries to compensate.

you may want trailering mirrors?

do you have air suspension?

here's a checklist I use; some items may be N/A for you.

View media item 4165

OP
OP
J

Joseph Seda

Reaction score
I do have air suspension. I was also thinking of adding a trans cooler. How does the air suspension compare with the passive coil over suspension conversion

Last edited:

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
doesn't the expedition 5.4 come with a trans cooler? is there some kind of factory tow package which would include such thing? pretty sure my 99 EB has a trans cooler

OP
OP
J

Joseph Seda

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’d have to check. I bought it a couple days ago for this trip. Its got 170k miles on it. Just wanting to make sure I’m all set before taking it cross country towing a vehicle

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its just fine, the 5.4's have a trans cooler built in the radiator. I had a 97 XLT and it towed wonderfully! I towed a car(Taurus SHO) on a Uhaul trailer from Wisconsin to Ohio, left it in Overdrive and towed around 65 to 70 MPH, I got about 9.5 MPG, which in my opinion was good since the best I ever got was 12.78 on one trip solo. Mine had 3.73 gears though, so the 3.31's may be a little "sluggish". Just my $.02.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
deactivate your air suspension, load everything up, reactivate it so it can settle out.

5.4's w/towing package have trans cooler separately dedicated.

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The cooler that’s built into the radiator is NOT a trans cooler. Trans coolers are separate in the fluid circuit. I’ve towed my grand national on a uhaul full sized trailer with no issues. Did 65-70 mph and got 11-12 mpg. The only thing that sucks is the surge brake on the trailer. And like was stated before take it out of OD when going up hill and you’ll be fine