Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most vehicles don't come with transmission coolers. They have as all automatic transmissions do a circuit that runs atf fluid through the radiator to cool fluid. This works fine for normal use, but for Towing or severe duty, an actual separate cooler is a must for lower trans temperature, and longer transmission life. Like anything electrical or mechanical, heat is the enemy! Keeping your trans fluid cool, and at optimum temperature is what you want. Hayden and other company's can help if that's where your going with your situation.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I meant that using the factory cooler built in is just fine for towing a car on a trailer. Thats a easy/light load thats aerodynamic... Now, my new Travel Trailer thats 33' long and weighs 7600LBS GVWR is a different story, and am ordering a external trans cooler...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True, but as you know extra cooling never hurts. The only item on our vehicles that actually likes heat is the brake pads, but even they have a limit. He'll be just fine as long as he takes it easy, and doesn't push the envelope.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Go to Vegas and play roulette. Your gambling pushing a 21yr old vehicle, towing on a long trip. I say borderline crazy. If it breaks down you will have 2 to tow.

Last edited:

RonB1964

Reaction score
I towed this 25' trailer with my 2000 5.4 4r100 3.55 ratio just fine. On the high side for towing weight limit, but I pulled over Snoqualmie Pass with it. Got about 7.5mpg...

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I have a 2000 EB and tow my boat rig (3000lbs total w trailer) like theres nothing behind my truck. I added a brake controller because my trailer has electric brakes and it made a world of difference in stopping power. No problem towing a car that weighs 3-4k

By the way, I tow from Chicago to Sou Fla in 90 degree heat summer. Not a single hiccup, no difference in running temps of engine, no smells, no leaks, no nothing. Having said this, I drop all the fluids i.e. tranny every 30k, brakes and p/s every 30k, radiator flushed every other year and use synthetic every 3k mi.

But thats just me.

MissileMech

Reaction score
If you don't have a separate, and rather large trans cooler, your trans temps will get well over 200 deg. on long/steep grades. I know because I towed a 5500 lb travel trailer while monitoring trans temps. Standard trans fluid begins to break-down when it gets that hot. Those temps were seen with a smaller factory trans cooler installed as part of the Tow Prep Package.

blackburb

Reaction score
I hope it's better than my 99 5.4 with 154k on it because this thing can barely pull a two place enclosed snowmobile trailer with two sleds. It's a total gutless pig even compared to my old 94 Suburban with a throttle body 350. I wouldn't dream of pulling my Jayco with this and that old Burb handled it just fine.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blackburb, sounds like your Suv needs to be looked into. 99 was first year of 260 hp engine, so right from the get go, theirs 30 more horses than a 98. True these early vehicles don't pull like a Diesel, but their rated up to 8,500 pounds depending on package. You might have a clogged cat, or low on compression. If this is only way to get cross country, and his fund's are not permitting renting a truck/ trailer, then easy does it, and he'll be fine.