Towing, tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acritzer

Reaction score
First post...

We have a 2011 EL, XLT.
Can anyone tell me what the factory tow package includes? I'm pretty sure ours does not have this, but we've been towing a dry weight 6,200 TT for several years with no trouble. I did have a third party install a transmission cooler and we use a weight distributing hitch.

I have done lots of research with so-so results. I've read that I'm crazy. and I've also read that it's fine.

Anyone here have additional advice? We are looking to trade in our current TT for one that is just a bit lighter, but it's renewed my paranoia on being "extra safe".

Thanks so much.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normally the tow package includes a auxiliary trans cooler and a weight dist hitch along with a 7 pin connector
may or may not include a brake controller.

Do not determine your towing capacity on dry weight Always use the gross weight of the trailer

Check your owners manual for the max trailer weight that the Expy is rated to tow.

Now just my opinion and for safety I always keep my trailer gross weight at least 1000 lbs less that the rated tow capacity of the expy.

You may also want to visit the Cat Scales and get your weights and see how it compares to the Expy's load ratings.

Also consider some good sway control along with a good equalizing hitch Pay attention to tongue weight

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW welcome to the forum

I would suggest that you consider joining one of the RV sites such as Jayco Owners Forum. Again my opinion and also my experience is that you will get better advice about towing TT's from those that have that experience

Not saying you won't get good advice here but the RV sites are more involved in towing and also about weights etc.

OP
OP
A

acritzer

Reaction score
Normally the tow package includes a auxiliary trans cooler and a weight dist hitch along with a 7 pin connector
may or may not include a brake controller.

Do not determine your towing capacity on dry weight Always use the gross weight of the trailer

Check your owners manual for the max trailer weight that the Expy is rated to tow.

Now just my opinion and for safety I always keep my trailer gross weight at least 1000 lbs less that the rated tow capacity of the expy.

You may also want to visit the Cat Scales and get your weights and see how it compares to the Expy's load ratings.

Also consider some good sway control along with a good equalizing hitch Pay attention to tongue weight

Thanks so much. So, based on your description I have theoretically created a tow package? We added a transmission cooler, have the 7 pin wiring and are using a WDH rated to 10,000 lbs with a class IV hitch.

Is that really all that's included with the factory tow package? That ups the tow capacity from 6,000 to 8,700?

And thanks for the additional heads up on towing I know that dry weight isn't the one to use, that was just for reference.

OP
OP
A

acritzer

Reaction score
Another quick question. Are there heavy duty after market radiators available? If I wanted to beef up the cooling and approximate the tow package equipment, would this be an option?

A local shop I use said there really isn't anything other than the part from Ford...he said this would run close to $700. Looking for alternatives.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford's HD tow package on your 2011 included a higher capacity radiator. One extra row I believe. Fords calls them "super cooling". And its dealer LIST price is $226.95. Your local guy is either nuts, a con man, or wants to install two or three of them for you for $700. 1-1/4" core compared to standard 15/16".

Denso, TYC, Spectra, Valeo are aftermarket alternatives, but I am not sure who makes what. I'd go with Motorcraft, at a different shop.

OP
OP
A

acritzer

Reaction score
Ford's HD tow package on your 2011 had a higher capacity radiator. One extra row I believe. Fords calls them "super cooling". And its dealer LIST price is $226.95. Your local guy is either nuts, a con man, or wants to install two or three of them for you for $700. 1-1/4" core compared to standard 15/16".

Denso, TYC, Spectra, Valeo are aftermarket alternatives, but I am not sure who makes what. I'd go with Motorcraft, at a different shop.

You seem to know better details than I do. So the "super cooling" radiator is really only a little bit different than stock? If that's the case, is it really necessary?

Also...your price is pretty close, but the dealer and my local shop have quoted around 5 hrs. of labor for the job. Shop says $700ish, dealer wants $868 (installed). If you do think it's necessary to install something more than stock, for heavy towing, could you help me find something that would work?
I have no idea what the companies that you mentioned are, wouldn't know what to search for, and certainly wouldn't know if it would really help with the towing.

Thanks so much!