Towing with my 2015 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan kohler

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the Forum and I have a few questions. I have a 2015 Expedition with the 3.5 ecoboost. I am looking at buying a travel trailer. The research I have done says my max tow weight is 6600lbs. The trailer weights 5700lbs. So here are my questions. I do have a weight distribution hitch and I have 3.31 axles

1. I don't not have a factory brake controller. I have removed the little black cubby hole and the wiring for a controller is their. I have called my local dealership and they said they can not order me a factory one. i have found them online. If i buy one online do I need the PCM to be refreshed in order to work correctly? Is this even an option? Or should I just buy a under the dash mounted model? I have already wired in the 7 way connector.

2. I looked and did not see a transmission cooler. I have also called the dealer, they ran the vin to confirm that I do not have one. I consider myself to be a weekend wrench bender but I have never installed a transmission cooler. Does anyone have any recommendations? are they very difficult to install?

Thanks

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are not that difficult to install and if you are towing that weight I think most would recommend you do install it to proctect your trucks transmission. if you are towing 5,000 pounds over relatively flat land in a medium temp climate your probably fine stock, but once you hit hills and heat the extra cooling is needed. 3.31 gears are not ideal for towing either. But if you add the necessarry cooling capacity you should be good to tow the kind of weight your talking about. Plenty of good aftermarket brake controllers out there that probably function better than a factory unit.

Last edited:

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Search my postings...I just completed installing a factory trans cooler and an aftermarket trailer brake controller, and upgraded to a 7 pin trailer plug...I gave detailed postings to all...Good luck!...

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're right at the border line, tow weight-wise. General rule of thumb is to subtract 20-25% of the max tow weight from that weight and that's what you should shoot for, more or less. Some folks just subtract 2000 lbs from the published tow weight. After you start loading all your gear, food, water, bikes, boats, etc...it's easy to exceed the published book tow weight.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are other factors to consider. Your vehicle's capacity on its four wheels is roughly 1650 lbs. Your trailer tongue weight is going to be 10 to 15% of the weight of the loaded Trailer, Plus 75 or more pounds for your weight distribution hitch. It's easy to exceed your trucks payload limit by just adding two adults kids and dogs plus luggage.
You can find weight information on the yellow tag inside the driver's door.
Keep researching this so you and your family have good trips and, above all, safe trips.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Expy 5.4 with the transmission cooler. I tow 6500 pounds over a 7500' mountain at sustained speeds of 65 mph for 3 hours. The truck is working, but not strained. I have never had temperature or braking issues. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni