Tranny blown?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdougie

Reaction score
My daughter took my 97' Expy out in the snow and flipped it all the way over to 4WD (lo) while going 25 MPH. 15 seconds later it locked up (panic stopped) and she then switched it back to 2WD and went on her way (all was fine???). Later that day she said it started loosing speed abruptly on the interstate, then pick back up - etc... Then the OD light started flashing. She got to her destination and then realized that reverse was out. Going back to her apt. she said it did "ok" & no flashing light but still no reverse. Now that I've got it back I can see the reverse, 1 & 2 are barely operable and D seems to shift only twice - 2nd or 3rd straight to OD. Is a 5.4L w/ 176K on it so is this possibly something solenoid driven or a OH/replace? Thanks in advance for any info.

MD:mad:

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
take to the local trans shop..... i think it probably broke the sprag from the hard jolt from the lockup. The longer you drive it like that the damage will be done.....

Matt R

OP
OP
M

mrdougie

Reaction score
Thanks green03, I was praying for a less costly "miracle fix". If someone has to tear it down for a "Sprag" then full rebuild is likely, due to age & mileage. By the way - what is a "sprag"?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It just sounds like the issue to me but it could be a fractured drum or some other hard part failure.

A sprag is sometimes called a roller clutch. it only allows a drum to spin one direction. Alot of times if you hit something hard enough in the drivetrain the sprag will be the first to go. Heavy duty models like taxi's and police interceptors have a racheting mechanism sometimes called a mechanical diode.

Matt R

OP
OP
M

mrdougie

Reaction score
right you were Matt, "driving it is a bad idea". This AM just barely away from my house, it started a binding going forward (just like the reverse), then, "POP". The distinct snapping sound of a metal shaft - then motionless!!! Is now an OH and then some.............

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes sir.... probably another 300 or so worth of hard parts broken now. To the tow truck Batman..... LOL

Hope everything turns out okay.

Matt R

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What i dont understand is why it switched in to low.
i have done the samething but dose not switch .
I thought you have to be in neutal for it to go in to low.

Last edited:

dan1a1984

Reaction score
might want to look at getting a used tranny instead of rebuiling. if you do the labor yourself you would save a ton of cash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziZ