Trans od light flashing....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

215Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While driving home from work yesterday I happen to look down at my radio and saw my OD light flashing. I was doing about 65-70 and did not notice and shift problems until i got off the exit and noticed a very slight bump when it was going into 2nd and then third gear. I pulled over shut it off then back on and no more light or bump i drove around for another hour and it never happened again. then again this morning at the same speed it did it again so i again cut it off and started it back up and it went away i have been driving all day with no issues. where are the codes stored from the tranny? i went to auto zone and got the cel scanned and got a code p0401 and something about bank one oxygen sensor. any ideas?????

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
While driving home from work yesterday I happen to look down at my radio and saw my OD light flashing. I was doing about 65-70 and did not notice and shift problems until i got off the exit and noticed a very slight bump when it was going into 2nd and then third gear. I pulled over shut it off then back on and no more light or bump i drove around for another hour and it never happened again. then again this morning at the same speed it did it again so i again cut it off and started it back up and it went away i have been driving all day with no issues. where are the codes stored from the tranny? i went to auto zone and got the cel scanned and got a code p0401 and something about bank one oxygen sensor. any ideas?????

P0401A_zps47eeb4cb.jpg

O/D light flashing means the pcm has recognized an issue with the transmission. Can be many things....

Resetting the light is not going to make the problem go away so just drive normal. Unfortunately I do not believe you can read any codes related to the tranny. May have to go to dealer or transmission specialty shop.

Last edited:
OP
OP

215Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK thanks for the info, I might have to take it to a transmission shop to get it looked at. I don't think its anything bad as of yet because it comes and goes but i hope its a simple fix.

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this similar problem and It is probably not your trans. I took mine to the trans shop first and he was a good fellow and told me I didn't have a problem. He had it hooked up to the big mobile scanner. Being that you have code 401 I'm guessing your cat converters are clogged. Mine were clogged up with what looked like concrete. They were so bad I had them leave the rear ones off and run straight pipe. The truck instantly ran GREAT and still does to this day!!! I also replaced all 4 O2 sensors. Just throwing that out there. Good luck with yout truck.

Firepuppy

Reaction score
same issue

i had a 99 expo that the OD light was flashing on it if im correct you can count the flashes and it will be the code the reason mine was flashing was because of the shift modules so i watched you tube to see how to change the shift modules and i tackeled it one weekend and changed all 3 shift modules and the wiring cost me about 50 in parts and no more flashing od and that was about 2 years ago still running strong with 250,000 on it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni