Transmission cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acritzer

Reaction score
I've had a transmission cooler installed. With a trip out West towing a 30' TT I'm wondering if I should upgrade.

The one that's on there now is approx 10"x 7 1/2". There's plenty of room to add a larger one.

Any advice?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cooler is way better than not cool enough.

A popular swap for people with 4r100 transmission is to run the same cooler that the 6.0L Excursion came with. That's my plan.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. Although I'm not sure on the hose barb size. Since you'll be putting rubber lines on (either the ones supplied or your own) you'll need to make sure it'll fit.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An idea to ponder and data point. I put a B&M filter between the in/output of my stock trans cooler; it's roughly the same dimensions you described, and takes a standard oil filter to help catch any debris. I pulled a 10K 28' trailer from MD to CA, and back a few years later after a few mods. Never a problem. Changed my fluid/filter every 25K when trailering vice proscribed maintenance interval. I also upgraded my trans pan to a maghytec (it also has an NPT port for a sender) and holds an extra 8 qts as well as a 1" magnetic drain to catch the little fuzzies..it has a port for a temp sender to gauge. I have an autometer Pro-Comp Ultra Lite series.

034a.JPG View media item 1188
View media item 1186034a.JPG

There is also a "monitoring" port on the E4OD trans to accept a NPT sender too.

Last edited:

mwells

Reaction score
You can get a Scan Guage which plugs into the computer port under the dash. It will tell you the trans temp and three other readouts. I have been using one years. No muss no fuss installation. A little bit to set up, but it does a lot. Also will read out other codes.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
or an Ultra Gauge for about 1/4 the price of a Scan Gauge. And the Ultra Gauge will display up to 8 things at once.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm .. Y'all got me thinking of adding a Trans cooler also since I'm running 35's

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk