Transmission cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A decent trans cooler is only about $40. A whole lot cheaper than a transmission that overheated......

Don't forget to add additional fluid once you add on the cooler.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ones I'm seeing is based off what your vehicle GVW is..
With that being said, I think I'm going to go with the 20,000 GVW transmission cooler which is probably for F250 n F350.
I'm thinking bigger would be better..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed that my Expedition already has a small external trans cooler in front of the radiator..
So would it be worth still buying an aftermarket cooler ?
I'm so undecided what to do .. I don't know what the actual temperature is currently for the trans fluid so that makes it harder to decide to buy another cooler ??
So I thought of maybe getting a deeper tranny pan instead..

Does anyone have any experience in this or have knowledge on what I should do..
Thanks

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Transmission line goes to that Lil aluminum cooler then to the lower radiator and back to Transmission..
So I'm assuming that the Transmission fluid is being cool down by both or am I missing something ??74566f4927b74eb58a4afa64778a5690.jpg

Reaction score
The Transmission line goes to that Lil aluminum cooler then to the lower radiator and back to Transmission..
So I'm assuming that the Transmission fluid is being cool down by both or am I missing something ??74566f4927b74eb58a4afa64778a5690.jpg

I just added a Scantool to my 2013 EL. It has an auxiliary cooler and I've even considered adding a secondary cooler or an upgraded one since I tow a 32 foot travel trailer with it. Even if I added a 2nd cooler I want to be able to monitor the transmission temperature so I figured it would be easier to by the Scantool first to see where I run at. It might be worth the investment in one of those first. Plus like other posters said you can get other readouta too.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just added a Scantool to my 2013 EL. It has an auxiliary cooler and I've even considered adding a secondary cooler or an upgraded one since I tow a 32 foot travel trailer with it. Even if I added a 2nd cooler I want to be able to monitor the transmission temperature so I figured it would be easier to by the Scantool first to see where I run at. It might be worth the investment in one of those first. Plus like other posters said you can get other readouta too.
I got a Bluepoint OBD2 scan tool.
I'll hook it up today and see if it offers trans temperature read out.
Then I got a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner that I use a app called Torque which does show Trans temperature but the value is always 0..
But I'll try the Snap-ON scanner today ..

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
I got a Bluepoint OBD2 scan tool.
I'll hook it up today and see if it offers trans temperature read out.
Then I got a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner that I use a app called Torque which does show Trans temperature but the value is always 0..
But I'll try the Snap-ON scanner today ..

Thanks for your help

I towed this weekend with the Scantool OBDLink MX Bluetooth scanner. Using the Torque app gives me the transmission temperature. From what I understand you have to buy the 'pro' app and not use the free one to get the transmission temp readout. In normal driving my transmission fluid temp ran between 170 and 185 degrees and when I was towing this weekend we were at around 195 degrees.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy an UltraGauge and specify you want trans temp.

Deeper trans pan won't be nearly as beneficial as a larger cooler. And yes, that is the small factory AUX cooler. Mine is sitting in my aluminum scrap pile waiting to go to the recycler. I went with a bigger Hayden cooler but I should have gone even bigger.

I may also disconnect my transmission from the radiator. Haven't decided. I've done it on other vehicles.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes here's a screenshot of the Torque app showing Transmission fluid temperature
Assuming I'm in the correct place n the app to read Transmission temperature?
And I do have the Pro version of Torque

And this is the cooler that I'm looking at as it got alot of good reviews
Will I need to order any special connection for this cooler ?bcc4ee9b9d896ca99582b977032f5567.pngd87f9a1b320a833c9fcd0041b330d7c7.png