Transmission fluid in coolant reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday I changed my transmission fluid and filter. Drove it about 60 miles yesterday. Today I went to check the fluid level in the tranny and noticed the fluid was also in my coolant expansion tank. I'll obviously replace the radiator, but how likely is it that my transmission is not going to last? Although there was trans fluid in the coolant I didn't see coolant on the trans dipstick. I'm concerned that if the fluids mixed there should be coolant in the transmission as well.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The coolant will trash the transmission if it mixes. Don't drive it until the radiator is swapped.
If it was mine I would change the transfer fluid as well.

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I won't be driving it till I have the new radiator installed. I'll flush the coolant, but what should I do about the trans fluid? Just drop the pan and refill or? There was about a half cup of trans fluid in the coolant reservoir. I opened the petcock on the rad and drained a little coolant but it was clean. Trans fluid level did not rise and is clean so I don't think they've mixed yet. How much coolant would kill a transmission?