treating faded / oxidized black painted or coated surfaces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
things like roof racks etc... What do you use? how long does it last?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about the OEM plastic ones, just use Black Wow or Meg's Ultimate Protectant.

If they're pretty faded, I'd just paint them. I've had pretty good luck with Duplicolor Trim spray paint (green can, black top at autostores). Leaves a nice, matte OEM finish to the plastic, and lasts quite a bit, assuming you follow prep instructions.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on painting... once they are really faded nothing is going to last past a few weeks... besides paint

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do have dye dressings (like Show Room Restorer, or something like that), but if you can take off the piece, I find it easier to just paint.

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Throw some fukken on it!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dude dont dis the vendor. ive seen reviews on his products. all are good. but around the windows what do you recommend? or should i just paint them?

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

I've been selling it for a little over a year now - never had a return! :pepper:

dude dont dis the vendor. ive seen reviews on his products. all are good. but around the windows what do you recommend? or should i just paint them?

I did not "dis the vendor" a spray in a can is not gonna protect/change a faded surface. Im being a realist and dont want him to spend money just to try it out or bc someone is pushing a product. Even Meguiars product doesnt work on faded surfaces. Do a search and youll see the amount of hard work needed to bring back faded surfaces and the products they use.

Im sure the wax in a spray can is a great idea but not for this specific application, sorry.

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Bottom line - I've used it on faded plastic before. It worked. So I shared. Sorry that Megs can't do it - you also can't use normal Megs wax on the plastic door handles, bumper pads, etc - just turns them white. Fukken doesn't!

Biggest fun I have on a forum is with people who have never used it, or don't think it will do what it does. Its all good, can't win 'em all!