Triton V8 or Ecoboost V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donl

Reaction score
Currently driving an '03 XLT with the 4.6L V8 with 145K miles. It has been a great vehicle but starting to show its age. I will not buy new; never have and never will. I am debating with myself whether I should spend a few thousand on the '93, i.e., replace the motor with a rebuilt 4.6 or 5.4 with some cosmetic and tech upgrades all of which would probably run $8K-$10K spent over the next 12 months By rebuilt I mean basically stock but with cams and some mild head work, hi flow AC, etc.; not a race motor.

Or replacing the older Expy with a later model and have been looking at '12 to '16 models. I was not aware that the later models are also available with the Ecoboost V6. What is the opinion on this forum between these two options? If the opinion is trade up, should I stick the Triton V8 or opting for the Ecoboost V6?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It comes down to preference on what you'd like. Post 14' models only the V6 is available (I hate when they don't give you power options on any vehicle). Pre 15' were all the 5.4 for the 3rd gen. Personally I really like the ecoboost but wouldn't buy one, I love the good old V8 sound and love the longevity of the motors. I won't be buying an expy next just for that reason. prob will go up to super duty after this truck as I have fallen in love with the 6.2 boss engine. If you will be towing constantly I'd definitely do the 5.4 triton over the 3.5 for obvious reasons. But in the end it's what you want.

Last edited:

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go for the 3.5 twin turbo. I have a '17 Limited Expy after years of driving the 5.0 V8 in a 2012 F150. When I bought the F150, I chose the V8 over the turbo. After having the new Expy with the turbo, I see what an amazing engine it is with a power curve that fits the Expy like a glove (ask OJ....). My opinion is upgrade to the 3.5 TT. You will not regret your choice.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
V8 or EcoBoost? Its the same question as Coke or Pepsi. The answer is: Its up to you. After the mandatory forum blowup over the choice of engines subsides, you'll be right back where you are now.

I will tell you that I was leery about the Ecoboost (only because it says "V6" on it) being in such a large vehicle. And then I drove it. I was impressed, and bought a 2017 XLT.

If you're gonna tow heavy stuff alot, then the V8 "may" be the better choice. If you're just commuting and/or do some light towing every now and then, the EcoBoost will work just fine.

I recommend you waltz into a Ford dealer, get behind the wheel of an Ecoboost and step on it. Its the only way to be sure.

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
I know the choice is mine but input from others that have been behind the wheel of both is worth seeking out. I don't tow anything and with 145K miles on my '03 Expy, I roll up about 10K miles a year, mostly commuting miles. My wife drives a '15 Explorer Sport with the 3.5 Ecoboost and I do like the performance and handling but was curious how it performs in the heavier Expedition. The only thing I don't like about her Explorer is the front wheel drive; I have never owned a front wheel vehicle and have no intention of every owning one or I would be looking at an Explorer.

Thanks for the feed back; any more?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the choice is mine but input from others that have been behind the wheel of both is worth seeking out. I don't tow anything and with 145K miles on my '03 Expy, I roll up about 10K miles a year, mostly commuting miles. My wife drives a '15 Explorer Sport with the 3.5 Ecoboost and I do like the performance and handling but was curious how it performs in the heavier Expedition. The only thing I don't like about her Explorer is the front wheel drive; I have never owned a front wheel vehicle and have no intention of every owning one or I would be looking at an Explorer.

Thanks for the feed back; any more?
I agree with NevadaGeo. I have the 17 Limited EL. I have had it since February. I had an 05 with the 5.4 for 3.5 years put about 27K on it. It was rusting out and the engine had 146K and was going to need work like yours. I initially started looking for something 15 or newer, preferably a program Expedition which still had some of the factory warranty.

I drove a new 17 with the EcoBoost and I was completely blown away by the power and the agility of a 3-ton Expedition. When getting on the highway my old Expedition would take up to 5 seconds to accelerate from 40 to 70 mph, but the new one with the EB will do it in 2 seconds. It is very quick. The 17 is my first new purchased vehicle since 2003 but when the dealer told me we were in the $50K range for a one or two year old vehicle and with discounts it wouldn't be a whole lot more to buy a new one I went with the new Expedition.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've driven ecoboost they are
I agree with NevadaGeo. I have the 17 Limited EL. I have had it since February. I had an 05 with the 5.4 for 3.5 years put about 27K on it. It was rusting out and the engine had 146K and was going to need work like yours. I initially started looking for something 15 or newer, preferably a program Expedition which still had some of the factory warranty.

I drove a new 17 with the EcoBoost and I was completely blown away by the power and the agility of a 3-ton Expedition. When getting on the highway my old Expedition would take up to 5 seconds to accelerate from 40 to 70 mph, but the new one with the EB will do it in 2 seconds. It is very quick. The 17 is my first new purchased vehicle since 2003 but when the dealer told me we were in the $50K range for a one or two year old vehicle and with discounts it wouldn't be a whole lot more to buy a new one I went with the new Expedition.

Not to down on your ecoboost but most of that lag in your 05 was due to the old 4 speed transmission. it's apples to oranges with comparing the 5.4 coupled to a 4 speed to an EB with a six speed. When equipped with the 6R80 transmission the 5.4 isn't slow (I've driven vehicles with the old 4 speed and it's a world of difference from the newer 6R75/80)

Last edited:
OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
No way am I spending $50K. I could put $10K in the old '93 and have a vehicle I would be happy with for years to come. The '03 has already been lowered vie Eiibach and Bilstein shocks, exhaust recently replaced from cats back with Magnaflow hardware and she rolls on 20" wheel with Michelin LTX tires with many miles left.

However, I am seeing several '14-'16 XLT model with 25K-35K miles going for $28K-$35K in south Texas, which does have me scratching my head.

Thanks again for the feed back; keep it coming.;)

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No way am I spending $50K. I could put $10K in the old '93 and have a vehicle I would be happy with for years to come. The '03 has already been lowered vie Eiibach and Bilstein shocks, exhaust recently replaced from cats back with Magnaflow hardware and she rolls on 20" wheel with Michelin LTX tires with many miles left.

However, I am seeing several '14-'16 XLT model with 25K-35K miles going for $28K-$35K in south Texas, which does have me scratching my head.

Thanks again for the feed back; keep it coming.;)

Sounds like you ruined a good truck with all that crap. Put more money into your 03. I'd hate for you to ruin a perfectly good 15-17 model

And just so I at least make some contribution to this thread. Ive owned a 4.6, 5.4 and now a 3.5. The Ecoboost will run circles around the previous two and do it with a travel trailer hooked to it. Its that much better. The folks that talk bad about them don't own them. They talk about longevity yet know of no failures or major problems with any high mileage eco motors. They say if you'll be towing get the 5.4 "for obvious reasons" whatever that means. The Eco makes more power and wayyyyyy more torque then the 5.4 ever did so not sure why you cant tow with it. I pull 8K behind it regularly and it pulls great.

The Ecoboost is better on paper and better in the real world. That's how advancement works. Anybody who says it isn't better is just trying to stir up crap because they don't own one.

The resident trolls should be along any time to really screw this thread up.

Last edited by a moderator:

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I loved the 200+K I got from my first 5.4. I tow a lot and can't imagine that the higher compression and higher RPMs of the Ecoboost will make it last longer than a V8, so I snagged another 5.4 when it was time for a new rig. I'm at 85K and still loving my choice.