Triton V8 or Ecoboost V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
Sounds like you ruined a good truck with all that crap. Put more money into your 03. I'd hate for you to ruin a perfectly good 15-17 model

Pretty bold statement from someone who has not even seen, much less driven my '03.:confused:

Believe me, if the '03 was anywhere near ruination, I would never have posted the OP. I am not keen on the idea of disposing of the '03 and, quite honestly, if it weren't for the downtime on the motor work and swap, I would be less inclined to replace it with a later model. So, while you are certainly entitled to an opinion, you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the condition of my '03.

I do take your comments about the 3.5 to heart and if I do replace the '03, the replacement will be the 3.5 just based on the feed back so far.;)

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you ruined a good truck with all that crap. Put more money into your 03. I'd hate for you to ruin a perfectly good 15-17 model

And just so I at least make some contribution to this thread. Ive owned a 4.6, 5.4 and now a 3.5. The Ecoboost will run circles around the previous two and do it with a travel trailer hooked to it. Its that much better. The folks that talk bad about them don't own them. They talk about longevity yet know of no failures or major problems with any high mileage eco motors. They say if you'll be towing get the 5.4 "for obvious reasons" whatever that means. The Eco makes more power and wayyyyyy more torque then the 5.4 ever did so not sure why you cant tow with it. I pull 8K behind it regularly and it pulls great.

The Ecoboost is better on paper and better in the real world. That's how advancement works. Anybody who says it isn't better is just trying to stir up crap because they don't own one

Adieu and Rjdelp the resident trolls should be along any time to really screw this thread up

And just so I at least make some contribution to this thread. Ive owned a 4.6, 5.4 and now a 3.5. The Ecoboost will run circles around the previous two and do it with a travel trailer hooked to it. Its that much better. The folks that talk bad about them don't own them. They talk about longevity yet know of no failures or major problems with any high mileage eco motors. They say if you'll be towing get the 5.4 "for obvious reasons" whatever that means. The Eco makes more power and wayyyyyy more torque then the 5.4 ever did so not sure why you cant tow with it. I pull 8K behind it regularly and it pulls great.

The Ecoboost is better on paper and better in the real world. That's how advancement works. Anybody who says it isn't better is just trying to stir up crap because they don't own one

Adieu and Rjdelp the resident trolls should be along any time to really screw this thread up

I Know many people with ecoboost and have driven them. It's no secret the ecoboost will tire out first if you work it hard in comparison to the 5.4. The triton will come back for more after the EB is in the scrap yard. I have brought up this point so many times it hurts to say it, if the ecoboost could roll with the big dogs it would be available in the super duty, guess what? It's not. The triton was. Checkmate. I remember talking to the guys at the dealer about it. They said if you are really going to give it a run for its money, the 6.2 boss will outlast an ecoboost triple fold. Never have nor ever will have a problem with ecoboost but you people have no idea what you're talking about. Your truck feels fast? Great that means absolutely nothing, when you roll in at 300,000 miles like many tritons come back. The ecoboost runs circles around them? What a gross exaggeration come on. I've driven it the difference is mild at best give me a break. And the mpg improvement is literally 1mpg.

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a lot and can't imagine that the higher compression and higher RPMs of the Ecoboost will make it last longer than a V8

Where do you guys get your information??? The compression ratio on the 5.4 was 9.8:1. The CR on the 3.5 Ecoboost is 10.0:1 and only recently raised to 10.5 And the higher rpms what is that??? The reason for the turbos is so it can make its power at a lower RPM. Get your facts straight because your spewing lies

Have driven and

I Know many people with ecoboost and have driven them. It's no secret the ecoboost will tire out first if you work it hard in comparison to the 5.4. The triton will come back for more after the EB is in the scrap yard. I have brought up this point so many times it hurts to say it, if the ecoboost could roll with the big dogs it would be available in the super duty, guess what? It's not. The triton was. Checkmate. I remember talking to the guys at the dealer about it. They said if you are really going to give it a run for its money, the 6.2 boss will outlast an ecoboost triple fold. Never have nor ever will have a problem with ecoboost but you people have no idea what you're talking about. Your truck feels fast? Great that means absolutely nothing, when you roll in at 300,000 miles like many tritons come back.

If its no secret then post some hard evidence to support your statement. Just because you say its so doesn't mean it is no matter how many times you say it. Your stance that its not in a Super Duty is the dumbest thing I have ever read. It makes my eyes bleed just reading it over and over. The reasons its not in an SD are endless. No market for it obviously, the shear size of a SD would make the Eco an unrealistic fit and diminish its performance. The market for SD's is people that tow HEAVY so a huge diesel is the only logical option. Nobody buys the 6.2 I don't care what you say. There is one 6.2 SD on the rode for every 20 6.7's and you know it. I don't care how many friends of friends of friends you think you know that has one its BS.

Is my Expedition fast? Sure for what it is. Will it smoke a 5.4? Any day of the week. It does those things because it makes more hp and more tq. How you can argue with that I don't understand. How you can somehow say those things diminish its longevity I don't understand? Just because it lacks two cylinders that doesn't somehow cut its lifespan. Its obvious your of the old school train of thought that there is no replacement for displacement and let me be the bearer of bad news. Yes there is and its called forced induction

Good day

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compression is only a small part of what we are talking about. Most SDs on the lots in NY are gas most don't spring 9,000 for diesel lmao, I'll have to look for sales numbers because I don't know what the percentages are. You are clueless forced induction will eventually take a toll on your motor however not directly due to it being forced induction. The only reason it won't last as long as you are pushing more power out of less of everything on the engine. Anyone can chip or turbo a 5.4 and it will whoop you into next week. There is always more opportunity for power where there is more displacement hence the saying that holds true "there is no replacement for displacement". Again I truely enjoy the ecoboost but it's simply not for me. I just don't like when owners of said vehicles spew garbage out as fact.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way am I spending $50K. I could put $10K in the old '93 and have a vehicle I would be happy with for years to come. The '03 has already been lowered vie Eiibach and Bilstein shocks, exhaust recently replaced from cats back with Magnaflow hardware and she rolls on 20" wheel with Michelin LTX tires with many miles left.

However, I am seeing several '14-'16 XLT model with 25K-35K miles going for $28K-$35K in south Texas, which does have me scratching my head.

Thanks again for the feed back; keep it coming.;)
Well there's the difference. I was looking at Limiteds, King Ranches, and Platinums. I wanted all of the bells and whistles. I knew that I wouldn't be happy with the stripped down version. and my 17 has every option except the Platinum trim and suspension package and the 22" wheels.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
V8 or EcoBoost?

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAjdAAAAJGE0NDczMTkyLTFlYWItNDc3YS1iM2FjLTg0MmVhYmIwNzM0Yw.jpg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:signs1::signs1:

Oh GOOD!! Fresh popcorn!!

lol I'm going to withdraw as I may have gotten to heated earlier. I respect the opposing viewpoint and apologize for stirring the pot. usually I try to be open minded but we all have those days. May we all drive our 5.4 Tritons and 3.5 ecoboost united.

Edit: btw Hayes the 3.5 can tow up to 9,200 LBS as well but I have seen that 6,600 pound spec out there, I think now you have to upgrade to an HD tow octave though where as it was standard 9,000 on our 4x4 models.

Last edited:

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol I'm going to withdraw as I may have gotten to heated earlier. I respect the opposing viewpoint and apologize for stirring the pot. usually I try to be open minded but we all have those days. May we all drive our 5.4 Tritons and 3.5 ecoboost united.

Edit: btw Hayes the 3.5 can tow up to 9,200 LBS as well but I have seen that 6,600 pound spec out there, I think now you have to upgrade to an HD tow octave though where as it was standard 9,000 on our 4x4 models.
Oh, you're right. I checked out the Ford website and I saw that 9.2k lbs spec as well. The EL version's towing capacity is slightly lower, at 8.9k lbs. I went to Platinum, thinking that the more expensive, the more towing capacity, but it is the same from XLT to Platinum. By the way, ruby red is a great color for Expeditions. :)

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 5.38.37 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni