Triton V8 or Ecoboost V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The V8 makes 310 horsepower with 365 lb/ft of torque. It can tow an impressive 9,200 pounds. (I actually didn't know that, I thought that my Expy could only tow like 6,000. Great to learn!) Meanwhile, the Ecoboost V6 has 365 horsepower, and can make 420 lb/ft of torque, but it can only tow a dismal 6,600 pounds.

The 17 can tow 9100 LBS on the 4X4

How about the V6 though? It does have two turbochargers, which definitely gives it some pep and some fuel economy, but turbochargers are not as reliable as a solid, mechanical V8. I had some trouble finding other problems, but I found a few. For starters, the turbos tend to get extremely hot, which could be a fire hazard if you happen to find yourself driving through dry brush, or if they are near any wood. Also, since it's turbocharged, the oil is heavily used. If you forget to do your routine oil changes
Turbos run cooler than catalytic converters, you are more likely to set a fire with one of those than with a turbo. Ford's recommended service interval for normal duty is 10,000 miles and 7,500 heavy duty service.

...then the timing belt could have problems. However, I do not think that the Ecoboost is a bad choice. Ford is selling them in their F150s like hotcakes, and they seem to be like reliable engines (though they are not as powerful, no matter how much Ford wants you believe they are).
The EB engines use timing chains just like the 5.4 and based on your own research they produce 55 more horse power, and 55 more ft/lbs of torque. And there are EB engines out there with well over 150,000 miles on them and have been in F150s since 2011.

As I tell my students, its nice to see references. Unfortunately I see some conformation bias in your selections. The last article is from at least 2011 or 2012 and talks primarily about software updates and early timing chain issues which were corrected long ago. I would put the EB up against the 5.4 and say it will out perform the 5.4 in any test, and I would love to see somebody do a test.

I'm done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
Well there's the difference. I was looking at Limiteds, King Ranches, and Platinums. I wanted all of the bells and whistles. I knew that I wouldn't be happy with the stripped down version. and my 17 has every option except the Platinum trim and suspension package and the 22" wheels.

Never been a "bells and whistles" guy; just don't see the value added; it's a truck and "stripped down" works for me. I do like the look of the 22" wheels but that's an easy upgrade; might even be able to negotiate a wheel swap into a deal. Your truck is handsome but I could never live with white or EL.;)

This thread has been spirited, very informative and much appreciated.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been a "bells and whistles" guy; just don't see the value added; it's a truck and "stripped down" works for me. I do like the look of the 22" wheels but that's an easy upgrade; might even be able to negotiate a wheel swap into a deal. Your truck is handsome but I could never live with white.;)

This>> all I do is drive my truck. My family members all have king ranches and lariats and don't use any of the extras it's all excess waste. We get in to drive not to watch tv or have a wifi hotspot. Why do I need cooled seats? Just why? It's useless.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been a "bells and whistles" guy; just don't see the value added; it's a truck and "stripped down" works for me. I do like the look of the 22" wheels but that's an easy upgrade; might even be able to negotiate a wheel swap into a deal. Your truck is handsome but I could never live with white.;)
Thanks, white wasn't my first choice. I really wanted the Blue Jeans but there weren't any on any of the dealer's locations. The sale was $100 below factory invoice and and a $6,000 rebate but it had to be on a truck they had on the lot since the only EL they had was a White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat paint one I went with it. It is a pain in the @ss to keep clean and it's at the car wash about 2-3 times a week. I pay monthly so I can get it washed as many times a week as I want to so that isn't bad.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This>> all I do is drive my truck. My family members all have king ranches and lariats and don't use any of the extras it's all excess waste. We get in to drive not to watch tv or have a wifi hotspot. Why do I need cooled seats? Just why? It's useless.
To each his own. I use the heated/cooled seats and so does my wife. I listen to satellite radio all the time, we use the navigation, I don't use the sun roof and if I could get it without the sunroof I would have. I like the power fold mirrors, the 10 way power memory seats with the easy exit feature, the power fold seats, the power liftgate, and the power running boards. I could go on. I use my truck to haul my radio controlled airplanes and plywood, drywall when I need to, garden soil, stones etc. but it is essentially a highway cruiser and when we go on trips this is the vehicle we take. You can't beat it for comfort.

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ironic that I agree with you on this, considering the fact that I have a King Ranch. It was given to me by my dad. I originally had the limited, but my dad traded with me because I do so much driving, and wanted me to be comfortable. Thanks dad. Regarding bells and whistles, it doesn't have much in the way of safety stuff (like blind spot warning, front crash auto-stop, etc. No need! I have a blind spot mirror!) It has a screen, with touch screen, though I normally just use the buttons on the side to get to stuff or to my saved radio stations. It has cooled seats, which I use every day during the summer. Even if it's not hot in the car, I just find it more comfortable to not have a sweaty back. The Expedition has a DVD player, but I have used that a few times when I go camping with my friends. I've slept in the back with a sleeping bag a few times, and then would I watch a movie.I would say the main thing that defines the truck as being King Ranch is its distinct golden secondary color, as well as the gorgeous brown interior.

Steve Heywood

Reaction score
Bought a 17 XLT November of 16 and LOVE IT! The best way to describe the EcoBoost is to call it a quiet diesel. Makes power just off idle and just keeps building. We average 17 mpg running around Phoenix and 20+ on a trip to the Grand Canyon and back. I was concerned about losing power when it got HOT but so far no problem. The only time I notice any turbo lag is when I whack the throttle when it's in 6th gear.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kinda changing topic back to original but involving everyone not just Ford. I was reading articles on manufacturers meeting new efficiency mandates and it seems there are two schools of thought. GM is making big engines act small when needed. And Ford is making small engines act big. Take the GM 5.3 or 6.2, they have "active fuel management" which shuts down up to four cylinders when up to speed. Funny thing is GMs V8 is actually more fuel efficient than fords ecoboost (in SUV lineup). Ford obviously does opposite and goes into boost when needed. Both schools of thought are interesting to say the least. I prefer GMs school of thought on this one. My question is how GM negates carbon build up in shut down cylinders? Does it alternate which cylinders are shut down? The GMC Yukon gets 420 horses and 465 lbs ft. Of torque and is good on fuel with a V8 that's hard to beat for ecoboost. In fact it pretty much beats and outperforms ecoboost in every conceivable way. This configuration is also coming to Tahoe now.

Last edited: