Triton V8 or Ecoboost V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
kinda changing topic back to original but involving everyone not just Ford. I was reading articles on manufacturers meeting new efficiency mandates and it seems there are two schools of thought. GM is making big engines act small when needed. And Ford is making small engines act big. Take the GM 5.3 or 6.2, they have "active fuel management" which shuts down up to four cylinders when up to speed. Funny thing is GMs V8 is actually more fuel efficient than fords ecoboost (in SUV lineup). Ford obviously does opposite and goes into boost when needed. Both schools of thought are interesting to say the least. I prefer GMs school of thought on this one. My question is how GM negates carbon build up in shut down cylinders? Does it alternate which cylinders are shut down? The GMC Yukon gets 420 horses and 465 lbs ft. Of torque and is good on fuel with a V8 that's hard to beat for ecoboost. In fact it pretty much beats and outperforms ecoboost in every conceivable way. This configuration is also coming to Tahoe now.
That's right. My family rented a GMC Yukon XL when we went on vacation and on the dash it would say whether the vehicle was in V8 mode or V4, with a little leaf next to it. It also shows the fuel economy if the car were to continue at that rate. For example, if we were hard accelerating up a steep hill, the car would go to 4 or 5 mpg, but if we were coasting down a hill, it would read near the 50's and 60's. I think it's a great idea, keeping the big V8 with plenty of power, but also going into a V4 option in order to save on gas.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ecoboost torque power band is ridiculous, perfect for this vehicle

Yea I suppose. Then again so is the triton. When I need it to pull it does it without hesitation and when I need it to go it goes. Both suffice, I was more getting at what Ford needs to do to improve mpg because they are losing the battle to hulk V8s with a V6, and there is certainly no market for an full size SUV with a boosted 4 cylinder. A lot of people go Tahoe already because they fear the six cylinder (without understanding new turbo engines are much better than old ones). If I do another SUV after this I would consider a suburban but I haven't been a fan of their tranny. Forced induction has limits you can only go so far and Ford is pledging to make no V8s. GM has sky as their limit with their program with which they can achieve better economy and get all the power you want.

Last edited:

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This>> all I do is drive my truck. My family members all have king ranches and lariats and don't use any of the extras it's all excess waste. We get in to drive not to watch tv or have a wifi hotspot. Why do I need cooled seats? Just why? It's useless.

Cooled seats may be useless to you living in NY. In high desert country like NE Nevada, the cooled seats are the first thing to go in the summer. Interior temps can reach 120+ with our never-ending sunshine and deep blue skies!! As EAndy says, to each his own.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new '18 Expy and "should be soon" new Tahoe/Suby will all have the jointly designed 10 speed transmission (of course with different programming). Once both companies release their full size SUV with the 10 speed, the head-to-head comparisons will be much more applies-to-apples. IMHO, I don't equate the 6.2 and 3.5tt as competing (but we can discuss the dream of the 5.0tt!). I see the 6.2 as a hot rod, niche market engine, but the 5.3 as the meant for nearly everybody engine, like the 3.5tt. But, there is so much more to a vehicle (SUV or otherwise) than just the engine. Buy what you like and fits your wants and needs.

Regarding the towing, you need the 3.73 rear end to tow ~9,000 lbs. The standard 3.31 only tows ~6,000. Yes, get the HD towing on both rear ends to get those towing numbers.

I never drove the 5.4, nor the Tahoe. I love the 3.5tt and Expy. I just didn't like the front end or the wheel wells of the Tahoe. I also didn't like the add'l 10k on the Tahoe I was finding in my research.

I moved up from a 2011 Kia Sorrento. So, nearly anything would be a huge improvement.

ranger024x4

Reaction score
First post on this forum, definitely an interesting topic. Pretty much was in the same boat as you. I ended up buying a cpo 16 xlt with the 202a package for 32k and haven't looked back. From someone who's has a 5.8 in a bronco, 5.4 3v and a 5.0 coyote in a f150, You just can't beat the torque curve of the 3.5. This is coming from someone who wouldn't even consider it just 2 years ago when I bought my 2012 fx4.

Yea I suppose. Then again so is the triton. When I need it to pull it does it without hesitation and when I need it to go it goes. Both suffice, I was more getting at what Ford needs to do to improve mpg because they are losing the battle to hulk V8s with a V6, and there is certainly no market for an full size SUV with a boosted 4 cylinder. A lot of people go Tahoe already because they fear the six cylinder (without understanding new turbo engines are much better than old ones). If I do another SUV after this I would consider a suburban but I haven't been a fan of their tranny. Forced induction has limits you can only go so far and Ford is pledging to make no V8s. GM has sky as their limit with their program with which they can achieve better economy and get all the power you want.
We get it, you have an issue with anything that isn't a v8. Jesus.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First post on this forum, definitely an interesting topic. Pretty much was in the same boat as you. I ended up buying a cpo 16 xlt with the 202a package for 32k and haven't looked back. From someone who's has a 5.8 in a bronco, 5.4 3v and a 5.0 coyote in a f150, You just can't beat the torque curve of the 3.5. This is coming from someone who wouldn't even consider it just 2 years ago when I bought my 2012 fx4.

Welcome to the forum ranger024x4.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

True that and I'll happily admit it. I have driven ecoboost and been impressed but it's not my cup of tea. Everyone doesn't have to like it and if you can't listen to others opinions it really doesn't matter what you think. I respect the opinions of those who like the ecoboost and am impressed with its torque and power. But to sit there on a throne and say ecoboost is superior to all and has no weakness as many owners do is just unrealistic, we live in an imperfect world and I'm just shining the light on some weak spots (which any production engine ever made in the history of ever has). I think it's funny owners take it to offense when you point shortcomings out on the 3.5, I don't throwe a fit when someone tells me the tritons weak spots (yep I better change my oil like crazy for those camphasers). To each his own we buy what we want and I like the V8. By the way welcome.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the opinion on this forum between these two options? If the opinion is trade up, should I stick the Triton V8 or opting for the Ecoboost V6?

Now thats it been a few days and the hand-to-hand seems to have subsided, what do you think?

Thunderjet

Reaction score
I just added a F150 4x4 to our household and it has the Ecoboost 3.5 with 10 speed. I do think 10 speeds is to many but the fuel economy is amazing for a vehicle with 470 pounds of torque. To date my overall mpg is 21.9, 75% highway, 25% city.
I am a old school guy who loved his V8's but at this point they are history to me.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just added a F150 4x4 to our household and it has the Ecoboost 3.5 with 10 speed. I do think 10 speeds is to many but the fuel economy is amazing for a vehicle with 470 pounds of torque. To date my overall mpg is 21.9, 75% highway, 25% city.
I am a old school guy who loved his V8's but at this point they are history to me.

How are you liking that transmission? From what I've heard it doesn't hunt for gears and runs quite well for having so many speeds. It amazes me it has 10, then again soon they all will.