TRUCK WON'T START

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARiley23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
98 5.4
I'll start from the beginning.
Battery kept dying bought a new one. And I did not drive the truck too often but would start every week. Then the new battery kept dying had it tested and it was okay guy said it has around 11v (but would not start the truck) had my alternator tested and that is bad the guy at AutoZone said. But over the weekend I ran some off road light wires and obviously had to disconnect the battery terminal connectors to hook the wires up to it. (All the wires are ran correctly) and when I finished up the truck would not start. Just one click and nothing. Not multiple cicks. Then it just randomly started. Started for a couple of days and then same thing happen again one click would not start. I messed with the starter relay on the firewall (one of the nuts will not get tight it's stripped out but is making good contact)
Then I wiggled the negative battery terminal connector around and the truck started. So I figured it was a bad negative terminal connector got a new one and same thing one click then nothing. Cleaned the wires up with battery cleaner and tried it again and now nothing is happening no power to anything like I have a dead battery but battery the battery is good. (Charged it)

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
11 volts is a dead battery you should have 12.5 volts at the battery.

If the battery keeps dying then you need to do a Parasitic Draw Test Read the attached

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/your-battery-keeps-going-dead-the-parasitic-draw-test.24600/

You cleaned and tightened the Neg battery cable at the battery Did you bother to clean and tighten the other end of the cable?

Did you bother to clean and tighten all of the Positive battery cables BOTH ENDS

You stated (one of the nuts will not get tight it's stripped out but is making good contact) If its stripped out and not tight then its not making full contact FIX IT OR REPLACE IT

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thing to think of is, these trucks are reaching the age where there will be corrosion inside the stock cables. Some places will be worse than others.

OP
OP
ARiley23

ARiley23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thing to think of is, these trucks are reaching the age where there will be corrosion inside the stock cables. Some places will be worse than others.
Stripped back my negative cable a good 6 inches and it is rusty inside. So I'm starting to think that may be the issue

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to test it out/possibly get a few days before needing to replace them. Soak the ends in baking soda/water, then get a rough brush and go to town on them. Put your terminal back on the end after it dries and see if she starts.

OP
OP
ARiley23

ARiley23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Truck will randomly start sometimes and then will just click once and no start but if I wiggled the cables around and keep trying it starts

If you want to test it out/possibly get a few days before needing to replace them. Soak the ends in baking soda/water, then get a rough brush and go to town on them. Put your terminal back on the end after it dries and see if she starts.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Click and no start screams battery cables. Happens to me every few months, this truck likes to accumulate water on the battery and corrode on me. Clean it up and it fires up.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can wiggle the wire then that should tell you something is loose. Its not rocket science.

CLEAN AMD TIGHT

OP
OP
ARiley23

ARiley23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah the terminals are spotless brand new battery and cleaned the ends of both battery cables but the one negative is rusty

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rip it out then, personally I'd make one as it's easy, and a perfect time to go up a gauge for better flow, and it's generally cheaper than buying a premade one.