TruTrac vs Ford LSD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good day,

I have a 99 Ford Expedition with what I believe is a 3.50 rear axle.

I have heard that some folks have replaced their rear differential with a TruTrac differential to get the benefits of a LSD.

I had originally thought that the first gen expedition came with an open differential but my mechanic mentioned that my model came with a LSD.

Is the correct?

If the first gen already had a LSD why are people swapping in a TruTrac?

Thanks

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good day,

I have a 99 Ford Expedition with what I believe is a 3.50 rear axle.

I have heard that some folks have replaced their rear differential with a TruTrac differential to get the benefits of a LSD.

I had originally thought that the first gen expedition came with an open differential but my mechanic mentioned that my model came with a LSD.

Is the correct?

If the first gen already had a LSD why are people swapping in a TruTrac?

Thanks

If the Axle code on your drivers side door sticker starts with an H, then you have limited slip.

OP
OP
A

acolic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My differential is a H6 so does that mean in general I have the same capability as a TruTrac differential?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
H6 is a 3.73 LSD...same as mine. Clutches will need to be replaced every few years, but yes you essentially have the same capability. Ours just require some maintenance. In the next couple of months I'm going to replace the clutches and see what happens if I add an extra clutch or spacer to increase the bias for better off road traction. I don't want the expense of a locker.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have H6 then you probably have the tow package with a 4r100 tranny, and external trans cooler like mine. Great package

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You HAD a limited slip. Like Chris said, those clutches wear out.

I have Truetracs front and rear in my a Explorer with a SAS. Pretty good. Not quite as good as a locker, but for the most part I just get through stuff. I've thought about adding one to the rear of my Expedition. But they aren't cheap.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but I have a 2008 expedition but no idea if this model came with an LSD or not? Can anyone confirm if it was an option and how I find out if my Exp has the option or not. I rarely go off-road but do pull a lot of trailers in dirt parks (off-road motorcycling) so would like to know if I have an LSD just for extra peace of mind!!
Probably find Ford has fitted some fancy electronic device which applies the brakes to a spinning wheel to try and mimic an LSD!!

Any info would be very welcome.

Gary

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but I have a 2008 expedition but no idea if this model came with an LSD or not? Can anyone confirm if it was an option and how I find out if my Exp has the option or not. I rarely go off-road but do pull a lot of trailers in dirt parks (off-road motorcycling) so would like to know if I have an LSD just for extra peace of mind!!
Probably find Ford has fitted some fancy electronic device which applies the brakes to a spinning wheel to try and mimic an LSD!!

Any info would be very welcome.

Gary

Run your vin online