Tunes, tunes, and more tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a tune for my Ex. I want to know what you all have or have had and what tunes you liked the best. I know higher octane tunes get more power but for right now I’m running 87 and looking at 5 star. Whatcha got!?

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't really know. I wasn't concerned with gas mileage when I bought my Expedition. I drive a few miles around town multiple times a day and the gauge reads between 14-15mpg. I went on a road trip from Dallas to Lawton, OK a few weeks back and running 80mph pretty much the whole way it said I was getting around 19mpg.

87octane tune just sounds like an Oxymoron to me

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Don't really know. I wasn't concerned with gas mileage when I bought my Expedition. I drive a few miles around town multiple times a day and the gauge reads between 14-15mpg. I went on a road trip from Dallas to Lawton, OK a few weeks back and running 80mph pretty much the whole way it said I was getting around 19mpg.

87octane tune just sounds like an Oxymoron to me
Yeah well when youve got two kids under the age of 4 and your annual income for the household is under $100,000 you save $$$ where you can. The graphs Ive seen for the 87 tune look way better than stock IMO

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah but the graphs for 93 look EVEN better. Not sure how much gas is where your at but where I'm at 93 is about $.30 more a gallon. With a 34 gallon tank that's an extra $10.20 at fill up. When my truck is at E and in the red a fill up is usually around 28 gallons. So in reality a fill up with 93 is only around $8.40 more. I can go close too 2 weeks on one tank of gas with the type of driving I do. $8.40 x 2 fill ups a month x 12 months = $201.60. It cost me $201.60 (give or take a few bucks) to run 93 full time and have a better running truck with a better tune. For me, my wife and 3 kids (ages 7, 5 & 1) we spend that every week at the grocery store. You're telling me an extra $200-250 a year is somehow gonna put you in the poor house.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money bro. Like me I can tell youre an enthusiast. Your driving around in a top of the line truck that's lifted, got big wheels, an intake etc on it and you're telling me its not worth an extra $200 a year to have it running badass!!!

Either way good luck bro. I'm sure it will run better with whatever tune you choose

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah but the graphs for 93 look EVEN better. Not sure how much gas is where your at but where I'm at 93 is about $.30 more a gallon. With a 34 gallon tank that's an extra $10.20 at fill up. When my truck is at E and in the red a fill up is usually around 28 gallons. So in reality a fill up with 93 is only around $8.40 more. I can go close too 2 weeks on one tank of gas with the type of driving I do. $8.40 x 2 fill ups a month x 12 months = $201.60. It cost me $201.60 (give or take a few bucks) to run 93 full time and have a better running truck with a better tune. For me, my wife and 3 kids (ages 7, 5 & 1) we spend that every week at the grocery store. You're telling me an extra $200-250 a year is somehow gonna put you in the poor house.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money bro. Like me I can tell youre an enthusiast. Your driving around in a top of the line truck that's lifted, got big wheels, an intake etc on it and you're telling me its not worth an extra $200 a year to have it running badass!!!

Either way good luck bro. I'm sure it will run better with whatever tune you choose

I was going to type up this exact math. I used it have twin supercharged bonnevilles that required 93 and it really didn’t amount to much extra $$$ annually. When I’m out of warranty I’ll be getting a 93 octane tune without a doubt. That being said, there are occasions when we are traveling through rural areas and 93 isn’t available. If you have a 93 tune, what happens if you have to use 87? A lot of preignition pinging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
^^this is also another issue as to why I don’t run higher octane.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there not programmer option to have multiple tunes loaded so you can load what you need when you need?
I have not looked into tuning options for the Expedition yet. No need to fuel that fire. But most all the other vehicles I have seen or worked with that were tuned either had a switch or could quickly be flashed based upon need.

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
It’s a 10 minute change between tunes and I wouldn’t feel comfortable running an 87 tune and randomly fill up with 93 and switch to that tune