Turbo Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDEVIR

Reaction score
Folks - Have a 2015 XLT EL with about 80K on it. Occasionally when first start driving truck believe I am hearing and feeling extra vibration from the turbos (at least think it is the turbos). Vibration will change as I accelerate (all light acceleration as i drive down street and turn onto next street, or say when driving around round about). What I am feeling is different than the regular sound (spin-up) the turbos make under heavy acceleration which is much smoother.

Anyone else experienced this and is this OK or sign of potential problems to come?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me set your mind at ease, at least as far as the turbo's are concerned MD!

I don't know how much time you spend on this forum but a few of us are pretty familiar with turbo/super chargers & their ancillary systems. The mass of each of your Impeller/turbine combinations that each of your turbo's contains would not be enough for you to detect vibrations from unless it was in the very throes of massive failure.....in other words....they spin upwards of 200 GRAND RPM but within a oil bearing which provides lube, cooling and as a side effect, resistance to transmission of vibration......if one begins to "go off the rails", it's going to happen quickly and completely and isn't going to provide you with miles of "vibration warnings".

I'm not sure what else would be causing your vibration issues....but you might want to repost a "Vibration" thread leaving the turbo speculation out and see what suggestions you receive?

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vibrations, along with squeaks and rattles are the toughest items to diagnose and repair. To isolate your vibe, might be an easy one, or not. First item of business is run your computer diagnostic codes. Second, is their loss of power? Any rough idle? If anything is amiss with your engine this would cause a vibe. Was any repair work done recently? Did your problem start shortly afterwards? Report back.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MDEVIR

Reaction score
Based on Jeff's comments; guess will give up thought on my vibration being one of my turbo's. However, the vibration problem is still occurring and appears to be getting more frequent. Generally occurs upon start up and driving slowly (under 35 mph) with RPMs low (<1000). It feels up front and it is a pretty fast cycle vibration. Could it be for example my air conditioner clutch? It does not seem related to the drive train. When I completely let off accelerator, seems to eventually go away within few seconds. After a few minutes of driving does go away. I did use my reader and the only recent codes I had were tied to a crankcase pressure sensor, but that has cleared and not returned. I am not experiencing a loss of power either, at least significantly and noticeable. I do not have a rough idle. No recent repair work. What think?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if it's the very beginnings of tranny shudder?

I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about the transmissions in these trucks....that's why I got a new one, the tranny died on my old one.

jeff

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Folks - Have a 2015 XLT EL with about 80K on it. Occasionally when first start driving truck believe I am hearing and feeling extra vibration from the turbos (at least think it is the turbos). Vibration will change as I accelerate (all light acceleration as i drive down street and turn onto next street, or say when driving around round about). What I am feeling is different than the regular sound (spin-up) the turbos make under heavy acceleration which is much smoother.

Anyone else experienced this and is this OK or sign of potential problems to come?

I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4, purchased new, now with 40,*** miles.

I live in the Midwest and when the ambient temperature is 40 degrees or cooler, the engine vibrates when I start it after sitting all night. When I first shift into gear and drive away, it continues to vibrate. No a/c on.

The vibration goes away after about 10 - 20 seconds. It reminds me of the “old days” with carbureted engines, when the engine would run rich and slightly rough after a cold start.

I have not had the dealer diagnose it (still under the power train warranty and Ford’s extended warranty). I have considered putting new spark plugs in it.

Anyone else had this vibration?