Turn signal works intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recently I've noticed that on occasion when I use my turn signal, the turn arrow on the dash won't flash- just stay lit. And the exterior lights do the same.

Can't tell if it's steering wheel position related or what.

But sometimes it works just fine.

And sometimes it will flash a couple times and then go solid.

Is this a flasher relay problem? Wiring issue? Turn signal stalk issue?

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is an answer from universal car light knowledge, not expys:

Usually means the ONE of the bulbs is about to die. Could be front or Rear.

True on smaller cars and on all the scooters and motorcycles I have worked on. Eventually it will just stay on, one dead and the other on solid.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I've never experienced a bulb "about to die". Usually my only indication on past vehicles that a turn signal is out is that the flasher is actually much faster (like double speed).

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"about to die" - Its actually dead, but because of the physical layout of the bulb, when you put elec to it, it magnetically attracts the other side of the filament. Thats why it comes on, and cannot release to make the blink work.

I have a bathroom light that does the same thing. The filament is fried, but I can turn the bulb until it connects, and light from a "dead" bulb!

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did you get this fixed? I had a very similar problem and mine ended up being either the multifunction switch or the individual cables going to the plug that plugs in to it.
After lots of reading I found out that the pins in the connector get pulled out from moving the wheel up and down.

The problem I had started out once in awhile but ended up all the time and then I didn't have a pass brake lite or turn signal. I ended up changing the switch and hot gluing the pins into the connector and the connector to the switch because the plastic keeper was broken.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still haven't looked into it. Still works sometimes- stays solid others.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally fixed this (I hope).

Replaced the turn signal flasher relay under the dash.

Part number SF-624.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom mine does the same thing, usually after putting on four way flashers. I'm betting flasher getting old, contacts worn. Bulbs work or not. Yours is first edition? 97-02?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. Mine is a 2000.

I've had this problem for the 3 years I've owned this thing. After replacing a bulb it seemed to cure the problem- but it was temporary. I replaced all bulbs with LEDs and it stayed the same- the flasher was hit or miss.

Now it seems to flash as long as I want it to. I'll have to relearn how to use my signals since I didn't use them much when they stayed solid.