Turn signal works intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom it must be a 2000 thing. Mine as you know is also same year. I've also had mine a little over three years. Spooky huh! Maybe yours and mine were separated at build in Detroit, or wherever they were built. Yours ended up in Colorado, mine in San Francisco. It's so intermittent at this point, not an issue. Yours isn't a Estate Green Eddie Bauer is it?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its the bulbs, trust me. the signals are on a special circuit which uses fault detection logic, the fault can be intermittent, such as with a old bulb that is on its way out. the old bulb(s) (yes, very likely more than one) have a filament which is breaking the circuit intermittently. All the important bulbs are on this circuit. 4x tail lights, 2x head lights and 2x turn signals. any combination of these will screw up your turn signaling. just replace them all.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appreciate you reading everything else I posted.

I did replace all the bulbs. I also replaced them with LEDs. Neither changed the intermittent turn signal operation- sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.

Then I changed the relay. Has been working 100% since then.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appreciate you reading everything else I posted.

I did replace all the bulbs. I also replaced them with LEDs. Neither changed the intermittent turn signal operation- sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.

Then I changed the relay. Has been working 100% since then.

good... ?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Must be a full moon , all the wolfs are out. Tom you're right with the flashers or their connections. Bulbs either work or don't, when filament or connection quits. That's when the fast turn signal starts. Always does. Hard to believe how many vehicles I see day after day with blown out brake/taillights here in bay area. I check mine every other week, don't need to get pulled over for something stupid!

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Must be a full moon , all the wolfs are out. Tom you're right with the flashers or their connections. Bulbs either work or don't, when filament or connection quits. That's when the fast turn signal starts. Always does. Hard to believe how many vehicles I see day after day with blown out brake/taillights here in bay area. I check mine every other week, don't need to get pulled over for something stupid!

uhh no. without out, bulbs can work intermittently. i had a headlight which would go out, and i would make it work again by giving it a firm jolt. it was old. dont argue physics with me, you dont even know how a filament is made! :) its quite interesting, go and look it up.

yes its unlikely you would have a bulb in this phase, typically they do just work-or-don't. but its entirely possible for them to work intermittently too!

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person!

Tonyray

Reaction score
I had something similar happen on my 95 Cougar when you turn on the signals the light would come on but not flash. I replaced the flasher and checked all the lights and still nothing worked. What it was the turn signal switch had corroded I was able to spray contact cleaner without removing the steering wheel and that fixed the problem.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The other biggest symptom of a failed turn signal multi switch, is a total loss of brake lights, all 3.