Unbelievably upset at rear door bubbling on 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am beyond upset right now, on this $58K sticker price truck. When I bought it, I asked the dealer about all the rear door issues with bubbling paint, due to them being aluminum. I was told by both service and the sales person (of course I should have got it in writing) that Ford solved the problem in the paint areas for the 2014 model year, and this would not happen any longer.

My wife's Expedition Limited, is starting to bubble around the chrome trim (where the glass latch is) in two spots. I am beyond upset at this.

Is there any resource with Ford with this issue? Obviously it's a well known problem, but do they do anything to help with the exterior paint/rust warranty? I still have about 7k miles left on a Ford extended warranty, but I doubt that would offer any help.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am beyond upset right now, on this $58K sticker price truck. When I bought it, I asked the dealer about all the rear door issues with bubbling paint, due to them being aluminum. I was told by both service and the sales person (of course I should have got it in writing) that Ford solved the problem in the paint areas for the 2014 model year, and this would not happen any longer.

My wife's Expedition Limited, is starting to bubble around the chrome trim (where the glass latch is) in two spots. I am beyond upset at this.

Is there any resource with Ford with this issue? Obviously it's a well known problem, but do they do anything to help with the exterior paint/rust warranty? I still have about 7k miles left on a Ford extended warranty, but I doubt that would offer any help.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Take it to the dealer. I heard there is a TSB regarding bubbling paint starting in 2014. I don't know the number but I have seen it on the site here. I also heard they changed the warranty and it is included in the the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll bring it in. It is out of the bumper to bumper warranty. But if you can't make a paint job last even 3 years, you are doing something WRONG. :)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll bring it in. It is out of the bumper to bumper warranty. But if you can't make a paint job last even 3 years, you are doing something WRONG. :)
Exactly. Every time I wash my 17 I keep checking all of the seams on the liftgate and on the hood. My 2005 is bad and I'm really hoping that I don't have the problem on the 2017.

Here are a couple of links for your reading enjoyment before you go to the dealer: http://www.expeditionforum.com/thre...gister-a-complaint-read-fords-response.16012/

Aluminum Corrosion 2016 TSB 16-0028

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you hold their feet to the fire they may cover it under a goodwill repair. Complain and call corporate, I have a family member who did this and eventually they caved and did it free of charge. But you prob have to go higher than the dealer.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The issue with a TSB is its not a recall. Its just recommended procedure for repair so it's not getting you anything repaired for free. Ive heard in some cases ford offered to pay 50% but painting isn't solving the issue. The issue is how the seams were prepped when the liftgate or hood was made. You could paint it a 100 times and it'll still come back