Unbelievably upset at rear door bubbling on 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My understanding of galvanic corrosion is that it only occurs when wet, worse with salt water like in the winters.

How many of you experiencing this have your truck parked outdoors and not under cover?

I'm liking the sacrificial anode idea that Gixxer brought up.......I KNOW that will work and it might be a smart idea for those who have no or little visible damage to keep it from getting worse if indeed, that is the cause. A simple grounded wire with a zinc bar or sheet should work I think?

I do zinc plating at home for my vintage bike restorations and I have sheets of pure(95%) zinc and I would think that bolting one of those to the rear door may work? Anyone else got a different idea?

jeff
Im not sure but I like the idea. I have a Grady White in freshwater but I know what you are talking about with the sacrificial anode. I would like to try it. I have just traces of paint peeling around the latch striker under the hood

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea with a sacrificial anode, hell if you don't change them on your outdrives they start getting ugly quick and everything starts pitting like crazy. I understand that a respray may not be the fix but i have seen that it lasts a few years at this point. A lot of the problem on the lift gates like around the trim from what I've been told is that moisture gets in behind as a result of wear on the paint from the trim. Most of them do either bubble there or at the bottom edges. these SUVs are pretty rock solid i don't mind dealing with cosmetic issues as minor as peeling paint at least we don't have major reliability issues like the new GM units. All I know is my resprayed tailgate looks a hell of a lot better than any other 07 I've seen around and it was done years ago.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably can't just do that and call it a day though, it's like if all your paint peels off an outdrive replacing your anodes doesn't restore the protection the paint gave it and it will still slowly eat away.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the stuff they are spraying on the roads around here (maryland) is MUCH worse than the salt that was used for years.

They are now using a magnesium chloride (VDOT uses liquid magnesium chloride, calcium chloride and sodium chloride for anti-icing and pre-treatment) in Maryland or a salt brine and this stuff unlike rock salt, gets into every single nook and crevice in your car or truck and doesn't rinse out....so it eats and eats while providing a perfect electrolyte for galvanic corrosion to occur!

It's not just me, go ask any shop in the N.E. and they will tell you the same thing...this stuff is worlds worse than the old salt days.

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gee, with all those ingredients, the roads are going to become a hazard due to the flocks & herds of animals licking the pavement!

LOL

jeff

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
around here, where is hardly ever snows, they use course grain sand. makes a heck of a mess after a rain, until about mid july, then most is blown off the bridges.

i thought the stuff they use up north was supposed to be better for the earth????? than the salt of days gone by.
i think Andy is on to something.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took a good look at my old '03 EB that's still sitting in my driveway and there isn't ANY cancer on the rear door. I didn't remember any on my '99 either but both trucks got a small spot on the hood, right above the latch.

Maybe it's in how they are prepping the panels as someone else mentioned?

My '03 sat it's entire life outside and it leaked from the sunroof when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago and still does but no rear paint bubbling.

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a good look at my old '03 EB that's still sitting in my driveway and there isn't ANY cancer on the rear door. I didn't remember any on my '99 either but both trucks got a small spot on the hood, right above the latch.

Maybe it's in how they are prepping the panels as someone else mentioned?

My '03 sat it's entire life outside and it leaked from the sunroof when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago and still does but no rear paint bubbling.

jeff
My 05 had major bubbling on the liftgate and minor on the hood.

This what it looked like when I bought it.

-4348779978399727302_3.jpg

This was a few years later
IMG_4907.JPG

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow Andy....nope, nothing like that on my '03....I'll take a pic tonight if I remember....

1. pic of truck

2. mixture screw for '82 Yamaha turbo in stash

3. ignition specs for '75 GT500

I should write this stuff down<LOL>!

jeff