Unbelievably upset at rear door bubbling on 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, I checked my '03 EB Expy and it's got none of that cancer on the rear panel.

I guess I was just lucky on my '99 and the '03....I sure hope my '17 does as well as the old ones did!

jeff

03 EB.jpg

OP
OP
S

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So say Ford won't help me at all, what are you guys looking like to get it repainted? Can any body shop handle it, or because of the aluminum, is it a nightmare? I hate having vehicles with any type of corrosion/rust!

JP Baron

Reaction score
The hatch on my 03 looks like junk as well. Starting peeling around the license plate mount and now it's everywhere. I was planning on just sanding off the bubbled parts, priming it and having the hatch wrapped.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Steve....I don't know.....I would really have to consider all the factors involved but for a 3 year old truck where the buyer is VERY likely to still be paying for it....I might have to speak with an attorney. I have never hired a lawyer in my life other then to defend me when I was young and stupid...I'm just not the suing type but right is right and wrong is wrong. Getting ZERO relief from Ford for THEIR paint being defective is just wrong to me.

I'll ask my son about this case and let you know what he thinks....he's a lawyer and he has dealt with several "car" cases.

jeff

Cpflipse

Reaction score
I am beyond upset right now, on this $58K sticker price truck. When I bought it, I asked the dealer about all the rear door issues with bubbling paint, due to them being aluminum. I was told by both service and the sales person (of course I should have got it in writing) that Ford solved the problem in the paint areas for the 2014 model year, and this would not happen any longer.

My wife's Expedition Limited, is starting to bubble around the chrome trim (where the glass latch is) in two spots. I am beyond upset at this.

Is there any resource with Ford with this issue? Obviously it's a well known problem, but do they do anything to help with the exterior paint/rust warranty? I still have about 7k miles left on a Ford extended warranty, but I doubt that would offer any help.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

I am also having issues as my 2013 has $1200 worth of damage of bubbling paint on the back door, around the seams and hood. I contacted Ford directly, went thru 2 dealerships and because it is past the 36,000 factory warranty they were very firm about not fixing anything. I was told extended warranties don't apply. A 4 year old Expedition should not have that kind of paint damage on it! I was told my options were to fix what is already bubbling and be prepared as it will come back. Yes, Ford is very aware of their problem. My last Expedition lasted me 15 years, so much for trading up and all the Ford quality and customer satisfaction they brag about on TV.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford burned me on my 2010 when this happened to my expy. Just inside the 36 K warranty and they basically told me to screw off.

I'll have to think hard before buying another ford. This problem has been around a long time and either they are too incompentent to find a solution or they don't give a crap.

It ain't the only aluminum body panel in production. It shouldn't be rocket science.

They better PRAY they got it solved before making the aluminum F150 or they are about to pay a heavy price for screwing us.

OP
OP
S

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Steve....I don't know.....I would really have to consider all the factors involved but for a 3 year old truck where the buyer is VERY likely to still be paying for it....I might have to speak with an attorney. I have never hired a lawyer in my life other then to defend me when I was young and stupid...I'm just not the suing type but right is right and wrong is wrong. Getting ZERO relief from Ford for THEIR paint being defective is just wrong to me.

I'll ask my son about this case and let you know what he thinks....he's a lawyer and he has dealt with several "car" cases.

jeff

Thanks. It's paid off, so I'm thinking I should get rid of it before it's bad, as I don't want to pay to fix it. My wife loves the truck though, and it does ride very nice.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, according to my lawyer-son, anyone still but not necessarily making payments on a new truck with bubbling rear panel paint should google "lemon law attorney's" in his or her own state. Select and consult with one...chances are, there isn't a lot of money that's going to change hands but he said that most of these guys, while not being the best attorneys, are the "we only get paid if we win" type and a letter from one based on "Breach of Warranty" may get a couple grand out of Ford.

"That so many cases of this have been documented, there is cause for a latent defect...and the buyer is entitled to relief"
His words, not mine...so there you have it....

He also warned that in many states, 3 years is the limitation period so get your butts moving if that is the course you choose!
jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. It's paid off, so I'm thinking I should get rid of it before it's bad, as I don't want to pay to fix it. My wife loves the truck though, and it does ride very nice.

That's only a 3 yr old truck and you are the example I presented to him....so his answer is based on your case and I told him that I didn't know if you were making payments or not or if you were the 1st owner. He did add that second-hand buyers would have a much weaker case.

jeff