Upgrade Front Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way to put lockers in the front diff of a 99 Expy with the 5.4? Not trying to make a rock crawler, but trying to make it more sure footed off roading...

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front diff is an 8.8/ Which is a popular diff found in the rear of Explorers and is a REALLY popular swap for Jeeps to get rid of their small/weak Dana 35 rear ends.

The question is, are the lockers used in the rear 8.8 the same as the lockers used in the front 8.8? If so, there are tons of options.

The other question is, do you really want to lock the diff of an IFS? I would tend to shy away from it, but that's just a gut reaction and a blanket feeling about locking any IFS. Can the CV joints take the added stress of always getting power?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a good rear locker as it will be used more than the front- at least in the wheeling that I do. My Explorer has Truetracs (a geared limited slip) front and rear. They work great for the type of wheeling I do. The only time they don't work well is in snow- and part of that could be a factor of the old, hard BFG KOs (the original style).

Those that I wheel with that actually have front lockers RARELY engage it- usually only on those snow wheeling trips.

But I've never wheeled in Georgia so I don't know. I'd say: "regear and lock the rear" for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360