Upgraded Differential on 2nd Gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Vancouver Bob

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, I would install an E-Locker.

Hi Wizard... would you happen to know who makes one for the Ford 9.75" rear end with IRS? I can find lockers for the 2002 or earlier with the solid axles but nothing for the 2003 and on. I'm told it's because of how the axle shafts are held into the side gears (ring clip vs c clip). The ring clips require side gears with a retention feature. Evidently not something most aftermarket differentials can accommodate. In talking with ARB, they said I'd have to have the side gears modified... probably voids all warranties :).

Cir-clip.gif

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pretty sure, all 3.73s were lsd,

& yes, if your original diff was lsd, you can just replace the clutch pack,

can't just do that tho with an original open diff

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably quickest and "easiest" way to do it is just go to a salvage yard and find an Expy or Navigator with a "H6" code on the door jamb sticker ( 3.73 Limited Slip ), and pull and swap with that complete axle. Unless you're going rock crawling that should be good enough. The limited slip axles were actually more common than non-limited slip .

op hasn't said what gear ratio they have, if not 3.73, they have to match, front & back

op needs to know what starting with? before what next

expys had 3.73 - .55 -.31 sized 8.8 or 9.75

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/129-0802-ford-f150-975-axle-build/

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score