upgrading a 2015 to heavy tow package???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris bauer

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am in the process of looking for a 2015 EL 4x4. Everyone I look at doesn't have the tow package but 4x4 or tow package and no 4x4 unless it has the 202a package. So I am contemplating buying a 4x4 XLT and adding the heavy tow package. So far would need a heavier radiator, Aux trans cooler, and the factory brake controller. Does anyone know if the factory brake controller needs to be activated at the dealer? Does the standard dash display transmission temps?

Thanks for any help.

BTW I tried searching and haven't seen anything pertaining to the 2015 model.

thebrakeman

Reaction score
Factory towing package is nice, but could be pricey. Consider going aftermarket and have arguably just as good performance. I recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy-P2 or -P3, and get the Ford-specific pigtail when you order, which makes things plug & play (no wire splicing).

Besides that, yeah, I think it's just the extra engine and transmission cooling. Many vehicles include axle ratio changes with tow packages, but not the Expedition. Whatever ratio you have is good for ~9000 lbs, as long as you get the extra cooling. And I think the EL 4x4 only comes with the 3.73.