V8 idle fuel efficiency??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's it cost to run A/C with or without radio per hour just waiting around?

I know in econobox it's cheap, like 1/4 gallon per hour even in Nevada desert heat.... but what about our V8's??

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nothing about our vehicles is great at idle.

Interesting question.

So much heat soaking happens at idle. Not to mention in a very hot location.

In SV , AZ mine will idle up to 1K rpm on idle to help with AC and emissions.

It's not a diesel. It's really not a great vehicle to run long at idle.

But I'm interested in hearing others opinions.

CJ

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's it cost to run A/C with or without radio per hour just waiting around?

I know in econobox it's cheap, like 1/4 gallon per hour even in Nevada desert heat.... but what about our V8's??

I don't know the gas usage at idle for the air but I the radio being on or off would make little to no difference.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
V8 idle fuel efficiency

I would say that the fuel efficiency at idle is a dumb question You are getting 0 MPG's at idle Not very efficient But then again I guess it is important to some people to know just how much gas they are wasting by sitting and letting the vehicle idle

Plus to many variables to get a true answer Idle RPM's Fuel Pressure etc.

But if its a matter of life or death to know the answer then I would suggest that you invest in a precision flow meter to get a accurate reading

Or if its also that important to know the answer then just don't sit and idle and waste fuel

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gallons (or fraction thereof) PER HOUR

Duh.

Ever had to wait for something or somebody in a sunny desert city with a nice big ozone hole, in the summer? For an hour or two, not 5 minutes??

*IF* you can find parking angled in the right direction, sitting in the trunk with the liftgate up for shade & air can be okay-ish.... but waiting outside in the sun, not really an option. And all windows down tends to put you right back at the mercy of the sun...and, besides, our trucks' window area to interior volume ratio is pretty tiny, so it'll still get real hot, real fast

V8 idle fuel efficiency

I would say that the fuel efficiency at idle is a dumb question You are getting 0 MPG's at idle Not very efficient But then again I guess it is important to some people to know just how much gas they are wasting by sitting and letting the vehicle idle

Plus to many variables to get a true answer Idle RPM's Fuel Pressure etc.

But if its a matter of life or death to know the answer then I would suggest that you invest in a precision flow meter to get a accurate reading

Or if its also that important to know the answer then just don't sit and idle and waste fuel

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not a diesel. It's really not a great vehicle to run long at idle.

Actually, modern turbo diesels are AWFUL at idling... all that alphabet soup DPF EGR DEF SCR nonsense gets royally messed up by lengthy operation at low RPM, and then you need to run it real hard for a while to blow all (well, more like some of the) crud out again

Besides, Ford has made tons and tons of V8-equipped fleet PPV and SSV vehicles (mostly Crown Vics, but F150s and Expeditions too), which were made specifically with clients who needed a lot of idling hours in mind...

Last edited:

f150dave2002

Reaction score
I have a scan gauge 2 on my 2007 Expy. I was curious about this too. I have found it runs about 7 tenths of a gallon an hour at idle. I do not remember how hot it was or what accessories were running but that's my experience with the 5.4 V-8. I'll try to steal the Expy back from wife and see what it says and report back, otherwise the scan tools are a nice gizmo to have as well.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a scan gauge 2 on my 2007 Expy. I was curious about this too. I have found it runs about 7 tenths of a gallon an hour at idle.

Ugh....AC, $2 / hour.

Then again, that's not that bad, not in midsummer in the desert.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357