vibration when accelerating from a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kiablo

Reaction score
Got a question for all you knowledge types. I bought a 03 Expedition about a year ago with a little over 200k on it. It runs great, drives great on the highway, but pulling away from a dead stop there is a vibration from the front end that's kind of like hitting a rumble strip. It goes away once you hit 5-7 mph. I was thinking wheel bearings at first but it doesn't pull and there's no humming or whining at speed. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may be coming from your transmission. Here's s quote from reference.com :

"If the vehicle shudders and over heats, this may be a sign of the torque converter going out. Overheating is also a sign of low transmission fluid.

Transmission shuddering combined with transmission slippage may be a sign that too little or too much fluid is making its way to the transmission. This is usually a telltale sign that the torque converter is failing."

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome Kiablo. Does the vibration only happen when you step on the accelerator or do you get the same shudder when coasting between the 5 and 7 miles. also if you are coasting and step on accelerator do you get the shudder?

OP
OP
K

kiablo

Reaction score
It's only when stepping on the accelerator from a stop. I never thought about the tranny, although I do know that the fluid levels are good and it shifts smooth.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if you can get more specific and not sure of the maintenance but with what you describe it is hard to pin point. Here is a list of things to check and again it may have been done but dont have the info.

Spark plugs, COP (coil on plug) throttle body needs cleaning or going out, MAF needs cleaning or replaced, air cleaner not fitting well or cracked (there is a rubber type seal that attaches to the airbox that seals onto the throttle body and can crack and dry up), vacuum lines and yes trans.

With 200k your plugs should have be on its third change. Also sometimes moister can build up in the spark plug wells and fowl out a plug and the COP boots crack and get worn.

Do some you tube videos on the proper procedures on how to clean and maintain those items.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going with my most popular, run a scanner for any Dtc codes, normally I'd say fuel pressure test but your problem is only on takeoff. I would check harmonic balancer for tightness, and wobble. I could guess beyond this, but let's see what codes you come up with. Please report your findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kiablo

Reaction score
As far as maintenance goes, I can't really say what has been done and what hasn't. But judging from the condition of the fluids I'm working the assumption that all fluids and spark plugs need changed. With that said, I don't believe it's coming from the engine. It runs buttery smooth and if you rev it in neutral there are no vibrations whatsoever. I forgot to include this bit of info, you feel the vibration MUCH more through the steering wheel than anywhere else. My gut tells it's something hubs or steering related.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure sounds like it. You didn't mention about smooth in neutral. Real important whenever possible, to include all information that you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As 1955moose stated include as much information as possible. Being new to the forum your unsure of the protocol dont be shy the more detail the better.

Now at this point with your truck I would highly recommend taking to a Mechanic and have your suspension and steering components along with trans checked out so you can be sure. Worst case scenario you break down and you do not want that. Spending the 65 to 110 for the inspection is more cost effective than chasing, because parts on these trucks arent the cheapest, your call but . Let us know what you come up with and let us know what the mechanic says.