Wait for 2018, or buy 2017 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks B. I watched a year ago as my school-teacher girlfriend just melted the hearts of the guys at a dealer. They actually WANTED to help her so that she could afford her Rogue. She chipped away at the 22K starting price for a new Select(meaning that it was the new 2016 model but the old 2015 body) and she ended up getting it for 16K & change and she got 7 free oil changes AND free Scheduled maintenance for 3 years. I had asked her if she wanted help before we went in and she told me no, so I just watched in amazement....she was excellent.

FWIW, I do not sell and God bless you guys that do...very tough business and I have a lot of respect for you guys that can do it well! I negotiate deals...mostly for large construction projects or purchasing of large commercial equipment or subcontractors and in that world, there's plenty of times "hardball" is the way to go. If I'm dealing with someone from NY or NJ, then I get rude on top of it because up there, it's a sign of respect.....LOL.

Reading people is everything....often, the person trying to sell the car/truck doesn't recognize that the buyer doesn't want a "friend" and just gets mad at the crude attempts to befriend them...you know, like with the "small talk" as you walk out on on the lot: So, are you guys married, how long, any kids, how old are they...etc...we all know he doesn't give 3 craps if you have kids or how old they are. My GF got mad at me(in a good way) for telling one dealer that "Used to, they died in a fiery car crash" with a straight face but the look on the guys face was priceless!

Yes, I hope Sopher does well no matter what he decides!

jeff

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tough spot to be in. If you don't need big time off-road, I would look at this as my play, wait until the last minute possible and get them down as low as can on a 2017 other wise wait again and get the 2018 because of the extras since they are trying to price them the same as the current lineup so getting a 2017 now doesn't make sense to me because you don't all the 2018 goodies but your paying the same price.

So if you really need an off road truck, in my mind get the 2017, BUT wait until the dealers are trying to clear them out to make room for the 2018s to get the best price. So again, either way 2017 or 2018, I say your best bet is to wait. Now if more room is your thing, the 2018 seems to be the winner as the Max has killer second row room, and one article I read said it has stack-able two level back storage and can hold full size 4 by 8 plywood sheets!

Just my take.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good write up
we too, killed them with kindness and drove our dealers two lots nuts for almost a year
their two lots are about 30 miles apart, so they will bring one car to the other for a test drive, or you can go to the other lot and not loose the initial sales person unless you desire.

i agree, walking in with superb credit and owing a ton less than the trade is worth helps alot
luck had it as we had 29,900 miles on the trade...still smelled new.
we owed little.
got a great deal on 16KR 4x4 EL, everything but the rear dvd and 22" wheels. for us it more than met our needs and fell comfortably in what we would pay.

i also each time, religiously use build and price and search dealers inventory at least 200 miles away to find a "fit"

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm at a crossroads of sort. I could use some input.
I currently have a 2009 F150 Lariat with 100k miles. The family wants me to get a thrid row seat vehicle. So I looked at the 2017 Expedition El Limited. It has all the features I like, in fact the dash it looks nearly the same as my 2009 F150. But I like the newer engines of the 2018 better, especially the anticipated 2.7L ecoboost over the new 10speed 3.5L.

I gather when the 2018 Expy's come out (they say july/aug 2018) the pricing will be slightly higher, but less or no incentives to start. Do I wait for the 2018 and some rebates or...

I can get a 2017 Expy EL Limited now for about 55k. But I'm having a hard time getting the dealer to go higher that 15k on my F150. Even www.kbb.com says 20k.

thanks.

Don't buy a new '17 expedition for 55k

It's a good truck but the generation is on its 11th year. And about to change.

Resale will nosedive to new lows regardless of bells and whistles.

You'll wake up with a several month old truck that nobody would wanna pay even 20k for, regardless of bells and whistles....

A 55k truck's gotta look the part. Doesn't really work all that well after a generation change....doubly so in a platform whose fully-loaded version carries Lincoln badging, and triply so with sub-$4K exgubmint models in the same body as the 2k17 floating around.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As to dealerships, don't talk finance. AT ALL.

Tell em you got CASH to burn and wanna burn it (hint at "here and now").

Get a CASH offer in writing and then walk away and work from there

Easier to get to the bottom of what's what when you take the extra steps out of the equation entirely.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't buy a new '17 expedition for 55k

It's a good truck but the generation is on its 11th year. And about to change.

Resale will nosedive to new lows regardless of bells and whistles.

You'll wake up with a several month old truck that nobody would wanna pay even 20k for, regardless of bells and whistles....

A 55k truck's gotta look the part. Doesn't really work all that well after a generation change....doubly so in a platform whose fully-loaded version carries Lincoln badging, and triply so with sub-$4K exgubmint models in the same body as the 2k17 floating around.

This post has me laughing uncontrollably from the amount of absurdity in it. My side is starting to hurt I'm laughing so hard.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After looking at the 2018 Expedition, I went for broke and bought the 2017 Limited EL. I like the way it looks, It sits a lot higher than my old 05, and it has all of the electronics that I wanted on my Expedition. I thought about and tried to locate a 2016 program Expedition with 25,000 miles on it but could not find an EL that my dealer could pick up at the Ford Lincoln dealer only program car auction. So I bought the new one that was on the lot. The first new vehicle I've bought since 2003.

I got a great deal, $100 below factory invoice, and almost $5,300 in factory rebates.

Andy

sgunes

Reaction score
I am also looking at the 2018 models.
I will be trading in a 2003 4x4 Eddie Bauer which served me very well for 13 years at 110k miles.
My main reason for the new model (besides purchasing price, depreciation, resale value...) is simply the better technology that the newer models have.
Just the collision prevention features (forward emergency braking...) are worth it.
How much is it worth it to you to decrease your risk of a major accident and in case of an accident be in a safer cabin?

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that people should buy the vehicle they want for the price that fits. That said, I’m not sure what’s so absurd about Adieu’s comments. Obviously the older style will be a factor in the next few years should someone wish to sell or trade-in. Look at the Explorer values from 2010 to 2011 (generation change), versus the value change from 2011 to 2012. There is a huge difference. If I liked the older body style better than the new, I’d buy the 2017. If I could wait, I’d buy the 2018. A lot of people buy these and drive them “forever”, so it won’t make much difference to them at 10 years and 160k miles.

KBB Values using their suggested mileage per year:
2010 Explorer – Limited – $11,654

2011 Explorer – Limited – $17,141

2012 Explorer – Limited - $19,013

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yea to me its whats your wallet worth to you. i wouldnt be mad at anyone who bought a 16 or 17 as they are still good trucks and can be bought with really good discounts. with that said, i dnt think we should bash the old or new truck for how it looks because at the end of the day sales matters and the tough truck suvs of yore are faraway from todays times and have proven to not sale. ford did its best to give its customers what they wanted, an f150 with a bold design, i mean most ppl by these for their spouses anyeay and 75% of the time they making these final decisions, atleast the truck guys have the f150 interior.