Water sloshing inside door!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck is not a sunroof model. The previous owner had someone weld a piece of metal inside of roof, under overhead console. The paint had bubbled earlier from water gathering in those damned dimples Ford put on the roof. I've sealed the roof with bondo, and even put layers of black rtv silicone. Black rtv is what I used to seal windshield with great results. I'm going to pull the overhead console and reseal the inside again, this weekend. The heavy rain left last night, so the weather is fine for working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone has given good info here. I have to give mine now. One do not drill hole in the door to drain the water out. Reason, if you have water build up now you think it will rot out the door if you don't do it right. The door already has drain holes. If the holes are clogged unclog them. I recommend taking the door pad off and start there. Figure out the clog clean out the door vacuum it. If glass was broken before some shops spray undercoating in the door to keep loose glass from rattling. Use a flat head scrape out any debris and vac it out. Clear out drain holes you should be good after that. Spend the time vacuuming it out.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same problem here on my '05 with the passenger door.
Occasionally I have to pop the bottom drain plug to let at least a quart of water out and nothing appears wrong with
the window seals or the window not rolling up all the way.
Like Jeff Kushner, my first gen ('97) never had these issues. It seems that Ford skimped on alot of niggling
little items on the second gen's to make up for the
expensive upgrades in technology they gave it compared to first gen's. Wimpy window winding motors, leaks, cheaper rear wiper motor design, more galvanic corrosion,
no bridge to fold down to span the gap left when folding down middle seats, etc.
Stephen

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is more of an FYI. I have not had the leaking issue (though my rear window will get water dropplets when washing) But to elaborate a bit on cutting corners and for those who may get wet carpet in the cargo area this may be the culprit. Little background, during the summer I had A/C work done front and rear. The top notch mechanic did not fully tighten the radiator cooling lines to the rear unit so I ended up with coolant soaking the back half of carpet. After getting it fixed, I ended up taking out all seat and carpet to clean. Now to the FYI part. I removed the plastic storage that houses the tire jack and found on each side a square piece of 2in material (both were soaked from fluid so I removed) and underneath were gaps (I literally could see the ground when I looked through) where the sheet metal ties together. I was really surprise and disappointed to see this oversight in build quality. Being that they covered it up with a material they knew the flaw.

pegsuewho

Reaction score
We own 5 Fords. The window issues extend to 2 expeditions and 1 Ford F-150. Been dealing with window seal leaks for years. The first expedition I purchased started this problem with 1 window and has since moved to all 4 doors and windows. You can let the water out but that’s not going to solve the issue of damaging and rusting out the window motors. Which is not cheap to replace. I passed this vehicle down to my daughter 2 years when she desperately needed it for her new growing family and None of the windows work at all to roll down. When I passed this vehicle down to her I bought my mothers 2017 Platinum expedition. It was barely 3 years old. Within 6 months, same issue, started with one door and now is in 3. Unless you know how to repair the rusted, damaged window motor, you are looking at over 300.00 each window with parts and labor. Not only that, but it is a major safety hazard. Locks have failed as well, so now no windows roll down in an emergency. Many many more issues , too many to list. My husbands F-150 driver window also fills with water and damaged the motor. This can short out all the electrical in your vehicle. In addition we have a Ford focus that came from the plant all the lawsuits were based on. After a year dealing with The dealership, not repairing the vehicle, and clearing out recalls not done. The car has not been driven since. Failed repairs, lemon car. Our daughter had less the. 36,000 miles and we still have the broken vehicle. Presently, my newer expedition is sitting for another recall through the weekend and taking off work to pick the vehicle up today. We didn’t hear from them. Well, I called and whom ever is assigned to repair is out on a personal day so my vehicle won’t be picked up today nor do I know when. Why is only one person responsible for the repairs and no contact? My mom bought the newest Ford Expedition and it is 2 years old all the bells and whistles. If she is not parked under her covered carport, her door is now filling with water. This is insanity. It’s an obvious large issue to own this many Fords that have this problem. Also the older Fords blower fan in 17 expedition models are recalled, but unfortunately the older models fan just broke with same issue and fire hazard, as well and there isn’t a campaign. On top of that, I have received 4 FedEx packages for Ford Safety recall campaigns and when I check all of our VINs, it states their are no recalls for these parts for 4 different Ford vehicles. We are beyond done with Ford. We have owned a total of 7 Ford Vehicles. Our local Ford service center is awful. Customer service has been terrible for the last 10 years. And trying to call the recall support line is also a joke. Nothing resolved with 2 of the affected ‘lemon car’s’