Waterspot tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone got any tips for getting rid of waterspots?

My 07 Expy has waterspots all over the roof and hood. Of course its black so when it gets rained on and then gets sunny, the spots get baked in. Its also an EL so there's a good bit of real estate to cover there.

I've tried cleaner wax and a clay bar with no real sucess. I have some "Water Spot Remover" from someone (Meguires maybe) but haven't tried it yet.

(Part of me is thinking to let it go and when the paint peels off of the hood and rear hatch (Its on its way, noticed more bubbles today), plastidip the whole rig! :D)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U have to keep it wet at all times...or use the stuff that u can attach to hose for spot free rinse...easier to just keep misting the truck

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
U have to keep it wet at all times...or use the stuff that u can attach to hose for spot free rinse...easier to just keep misting the truck

When?? Are you talking about as you wash it or 24/7 ?? lol..

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Anyone got any tips for getting rid of waterspots?

My 07 Expy has waterspots all over the roof and hood. Of course its black so when it gets rained on and then gets sunny, the spots get baked in. Its also an EL so there's a good bit of real estate to cover there.

I've tried cleaner wax and a clay bar with no real sucess. I have some "Water Spot Remover" from someone (Meguires maybe) but haven't tried it yet.

(Part of me is thinking to let it go and when the paint peels off of the hood and rear hatch (Its on its way, noticed more bubbles today), plastidip the whole rig! :D)

Guess it really depends on how deep it goes into the clear coat. Would not expect clay bar to remove it. It's good at removing dirt, etc that's on the surface of the paint. Polishing compound should work. Rubbing compound if its really bad. It can take several applications.. It actually removes a bit of the clear coat so you must use with care and follow directions. Then you still have to wax afterwards to protect the paint. But I am no expert by any means. Just based on my experience.

I would try your waterspot remover first as it is likely less harsh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GaryH2

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The problem isn't when I wash it, its when it rains and that dries. Summer t-storms are the worst when they pass through, hot black Expy, t-storm, then the sun bakes the waterspots into the paint. I've also got waterspots when the site watertruck dust control "accidentally" sprays down the engineer's lot and all the cars, trucks and ATVs.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's a protective that can be sprayed on the trucks from the dealership other than that I dont know...a real good wax so the rain beads off I guess

Starman

Reaction score
After owning a 99 Cobra, 2001 f150 4x4, and 2002 EB Exploder...all black...I will never buy a black car again. Living in Florida is brutal on black paint unless you wax it frequently. That means every 2-3 weeks if you park in the sun. If you have a garage, or shade, you can go longer between waxing. The spots are there because you don't have a layer of wax to protect the finish.

Not knowing the condition of your paint, I would take to a professional detailer, may cost you 100-150$. Then start waxing often. If you try to get the spot out, and you don't know what your doing, you will have swirl marks everywhere, and that looks worse IMO. I know, I've done it on two of my cars.

If your paints not worth saving, go with plastidip. I getting ready to buy the DYC sprayer and do my Expy.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can use a polish to get rid of any that are there now. Then a good wax.
After that quick detailer after it rains each time to keep them from staining

carlos08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try using vinegar. Dampen a microfiber towel then gently rub the spot. Just apply wax or sealant after using the vinegar.