WD-40 did not fix the DOOR AJAR problem . . . any additional assistance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iRocco

Reaction score
I just fixed mine today. Wasted a half a can of WD-40 only to find that the plunger part of the switch had broken off. So I got a new part from Pep Boys ($17 and took a day to order it) and searched the internet for a decent diagram or photo. All I found was a lousy drawing of the latch. Opened up the panel, and after some careful manipulation was able to get the latch out of the door. I found that disconnecting all the control rods and unbolting the bottom of the window guide track gave me barely enough room to do so. Had to use needle nose pliers to pull the broken part of the switch out of the latch assembly. Just be real careful undoing the retainers and remember which rod goes where, and install in reverse order of disassembly. This took me about 2 hours. Mostly because I hadn't done it before and because I was going slowly on purpose to make sure I didn't break anything else. But it works like a charm now.

Stangy89

Reaction score
Mine just started acting up out of the blue!:mad3: My right rear door sensor is working but it's working opposite of what it should. When the door is open the senor thinks it closed and all the interior lights go out. when the door is closed the sensor thinks it's open and the interior lights stay on. I've had to pull fuse #21 for now until I can figure out what to do. Could it be a bad ground?

hittmaniii

Reaction score
I am having the same problem in my 2000 4.6 4X4. I have determined that the rear door is the culprit. I do not know where the light plunger is. I do not use the rear door for this reason. I pull the fuse and leave it out for awhile and it seems to have reset itself when I reinstall the fuse. The rear window latch works just fine. the rear door latch is suspect. Any thoughts?

OldGoalie915

Reaction score
Mine just started acting up out of the blue!:mad3: My right rear door sensor is working but it's working opposite of what it should. When the door is open the senor thinks it closed and all the interior lights go out. when the door is closed the sensor thinks it's open and the interior lights stay on. I've had to pull fuse #21 for now until I can figure out what to do. Could it be a bad ground?

I have the same problem as Stangy89.
On my 03 Eddie Bauer my rear passenger door sensor is reversed. I open the door and the "Door Ajar" message goes away and the lights go out, I close it and it comes back on. I am starting to think possible bad sensor, what do you all think? I tried the WD40 trick and no joy on that one.