What air impact wrench do you recommend or have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McGyver

Reaction score
I need to get an air impact wrench to remove my lugs for replacing brake pads, rotors, and calipers.

I have been unable to remove them with a 25 inch breaker bar and even broke a brand new socket in half!

Looking at a NitroCat 1200-K impact wrench... what do you guys have and what do you recommend? Thanks for your input!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you should have no problem using a breaker bar and socket But use a impact socket rather than a normal socket.

Also they only need to be torqued to 150 ft lbs so get a good torque wrench

I also use anti-seize on the bolts/studs

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
A much cheaper and quicker alternative is you just going to a local mechanic shop and have them use their impact to brake the lugs loose then retightening them for you to get home and you then can remove them with ease.

bret191

Reaction score
I have been a heavy equipment mechanic for 30 years and have owned ever kind of impact wench over the years. If you want a reliable 1/2" impact that will last a life time and not break the bank there are a few but one stands out above the rest and that is an Ingersole Rand 231 series. They run about $90-105 and will last for ever in a home environment. and will have enough torque to do any suspension related job, There are other guns in I.R.s line but with this gun you never worry about buying another for only $100.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only reason he needs an impact wrench to remove the lug nuts is that most likely the person who installed the lug nuts used a impact wrench to install them and over torqued them. or as stated above the nuts are cross threaded

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But what's more interesting is that the OP posted this on 9/3 and then was on line 9/4 and hasn't been back since 6 days ago Guess it wasn't very important to him to get any responses

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Yea I dont think 24 nuts are all cross threaded. I'd hate my life if that is ever to happen to me

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
start with anti-seize, let it soak at least overnight, then, before you start turning, beat it with a hammer to break corrosion loose.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unnecessary

Cordless 19-20v 1/2" drive impact systems deal ok with everything. Even the heaviest torqued shock bolts

PS holy thread necromancy! Whaaaaat?