What am I going to need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J, if the unit came out of the same year Expedition as yours, it should be "sort of" plug and play. You will need a navigation antenna that you can mount under the dash. They are on ebay. If you don't have a woofer in your car and the radio came from a car with the woofer, you won't get any low frequency sound from the speakers and they may sound tinny. Sirius reception requires the satellite receiver which would be located separately under the very bottom of the console. On bench seat cars, it was located on a bracket under the radio.

Also, if you don't have steering wheel controls, you can add them, but that will require making some harness changes. I have an 08 XLT and I put the navigation in mine.

If the unit came from a different Ford, it may require reprogramming, which several places offer. You'll have to send the radio to them along with about $100 and some information. Improper programming can cause things like lights not working, etc. You can also have it programmed to operate properly without a woofer if you choose not to add one. Adding a woofer would require you to make a five-wire harness between the speaker, radio and fuse box.

Of course, without a microphone mirror and steering wheel switch the voice controls won't work either. You can get an idea of how the radio's programmed by pressing the 3 & 6 hard buttons together and hold them for several seconds while the radio's on and the car's not moving. That opens the "configuration menu".

Little by little I added the steering wheel controls and woofer, so the thing works great.

If the unit came from an 07 or 08 the maps are on a DVD that can be replaced, and is sold by Ford.

Good luck with your project. I had lots of fun with mine.

Wow, great information thanks for the write up. The unit came out of a 2007 so hopefully it’s pretty plug and play. The thing you mention that concerns me most is the possible lack of subwoofer issues. I’m hoping it came from a truck without a woofer but if it didn’t I guess I’ll have to add one down the road. As far as the voice commands, I think I can live without them.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW is that an app used through your phone?
Yes it works for iOS and Android. It is really good. Plus it tells you where the wrecks are, where the police are, and if there are hazards on the side of the road. We were using it on the PA turnpike and it had us exit 20 miles from where we normally got off to avoid an accident that had both lanes blocked and traffic backed up for miles. I'm sold on it.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you download the maps through a bit torrent site and bypass the overpriced disc Ford has
Yeah, I don't know how to use those bit torrent sites. My kids have used them to download movies until told them to stop because I was getting threatening emails from Comcast.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased the latest update disk (Ford original) from eBay for $14

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score

That's for the software updates, which change the functionality of the Sync software. When I first bought mine it had never been updated (it was 5 years old) and so it didn't connect to my new iPhone for media streaming. I updated Sync with a USB drive and now it works fine.

The navigation data updates are a separate thing with separate licenses. They buy the data from Garmin, TomTom, and companies like that.

That said, I have had success downloading updated map data from torrents for other vehicles, but I've never tried with my Ford.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be putting it in today even though I haven’t received the gps antenna yet. Easy enough to remove the four bolts and plug it in when it comes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t figure out how to edit date and time, in Menu it won’t let me change