What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate the white letters on the tires but the look good cleaned. Before and after pics7a1d4e8f54597dc9723de5ddc53c21ca.jpg3e0d0d220b70ffad2e73df6d6350e433.jpgbcc8491e747a5f9fa1e5b36395950b43.jpg607f5471e3d7622d4d8f51f60d66c985.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I hate the white letters on the tires but the look good cleaned. Before and after pics7a1d4e8f54597dc9723de5ddc53c21ca.jpg3e0d0d220b70ffad2e73df6d6350e433.jpgbcc8491e747a5f9fa1e5b36395950b43.jpg607f5471e3d7622d4d8f51f60d66c985.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The other side of white lettered tires is usually not white lettered, you can have em mounted without the white letters showing.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loaded my EL up with tools & deck parts to drive out to Hilton in the morning and finish building a small deck for a nice 88 year old lady, no charge for labor!
Can fit a 10 foot board in the middle, lotsa room.
View attachment 25497

The Expy was much lighter for the drive home. Not huge but now Madeleine can enjoy some sun out in the rear of the house.
View attachment 25552

Nice looking deck

Can i ask a question, though? Why on earth, with labor and property prices what they are these days, do builders still use that softwood crap so much these days???

I realize you did this one pro bono and for an elderly person who doesnt need to get many more decades out of it...but when people spend tens of thousands, that just never fails to shock me.

Why not use some nice maple???? Or a variety of other stunning, readily available hardwoods?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice looking deck

Can i ask a question, though? Why on earth, with labor and property prices what they are these days, do builders still use that softwood crap so much these days???

I realize you did this one pro bono and for an elderly person who doesnt need to get many more decades out of it...but when people spend tens of thousands, that just never fails to shock me.

Why not use some nice maple???? Or a variety of other stunning, readily available hardwoods?

Cost. The average American looks at the price today and has a hard time envisioning the long-term implications of going cheap. Even when you're looking at auto parts now the "standard" part is the cheap garbage. If you want a very basic part that is made fairly well it's now called "premium." The old premium is "performance" and so on.

Plati

Reaction score
Nice looking deck

Can i ask a question, though?....

Cost in this case, and it was cRaZy. Guy who's aunt it was wanted to cut costs everywhere. He found an
old torn down deck and insisted we recycle the materials into this deck. That's where we got posts, joists, composite decking. I drew the line on steps, rails, rim joists. All new buy. He actually bought 5/16" zinc plated carriage bolts to fasten rail posts to rim joists. I put up a stink and bought 1/2" galvanized bolts. He didn't want to toenail joists to beams, it was a constant struggle. He didn't want to add blocking.

Maple for exterior construction? Don't think so. Not in NYS. Rot resistant wood like western red cedar is preferred. Premium constructed decks use PT for the underside and its just fine.

In this case we wanted to get Madeleine outside from her kitchen area ASAP. Built that deck for $624.

People build cabins on posts sunk into ground around here. 30 years later the whole thing has no foundation and is a pile of junk

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cost in this case, and it was cRaZy. Guy who's aunt it was wanted to cut costs everywhere. He found an
old torn down deck and insisted we recycle the materials into this deck. That's where we got posts, joists, composite decking. I drew the line on steps, rails, rim joists. All new buy. He actually bought 5/16" zinc plated carriage bolts to fasten rail posts to rim joists. I put up a stink and bought 1/2" galvanized bolts. He didn't want to toenail joists to beams, it was a constant struggle. He didn't want to add blocking.

Maple for exterior construction? Don't think so. Not in NYS. Rot resistant wood like western red cedar is preferred. Premium constructed decks use PT for the underside and its just fine.

In this case we wanted to get Madeleine outside from her kitchen area ASAP. Built that deck for $624.

People build cabins on posts sunk into ground around here. 30 years later the whole thing has no foundation and is a pile of junk

Ah so maple doesnt work in wet climates?

Any hardwoods that do?

$624 in materials...that's crazy

5/16" zinc... wow... that sounds unsafe

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil Change (nearly free) new front lug nuts (stupidly expensive) AC recharge (good deal at Pep Boys) Getting ready to pull the camper from midwest to Virginia.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil Change (nearly free) new front lug nuts (stupidly expensive) AC recharge (good deal at Pep Boys) Getting ready to pull the camper from midwest to Virginia.

After a local mechanic rounded off a couple of mine by using the wrong size socket, I bought an entire set of new OEM lugs on eBay for ~$50. Seller stated they were pulled off a new vehicle that had been fitted with custom wheels. In any case, they were indeed new OEM lugs.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After a local mechanic rounded off a couple of mine by using the wrong size socket, I bought an entire set of new OEM lugs on eBay for ~$50. Seller stated they were pulled off a new vehicle that had been fitted with custom wheels. In any case, they were indeed new OEM lugs.

Two months ago I would have thought $50 is a rip off, I dont think so anymore. I looked for alternatives, but nearly anything I looked at would still be around the $88 I paid yesterday (this is for two wheels only). You did good!

Plati

Reaction score
You replaced the insane Ford OEM lug nuts with ... OEM lug nuts? Is that a good idea? I was under the impression that solid stainless steel Gorilla brand lug nuts was the ticket. I plan to do that to save myself the potential aggravation of those insane Ford OEM skinned lug nuts failing at a bad time. Expensive BUT, a pound of prevention is worth an ounce of cure.