What does bank1 and bank2 mean, you may be asking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those who do not know what Bank1 and Bank2 means.

When using a scanner to read codes or doing a live data run, you may come across the words, Bank1 and or Bank2, which tells you what side of the motor has a problem.
How to tell what side is Bank1 and which side is Bank2, is really simple, the side of the motor, driver/passenger side, that has the #1 cylinder, is called Bank1, the other side is Bank2.

For example,
The #1 cylinder is on the passenger side, this side will be called Bank1, also used for parts locations.

When trying to indentify the location of the O2S, you may see something like Bank1-sensor1 or Bank2-sensor2, what do they mean you may be asking, well that is telling you the location(s) of the O2S.

O2S locations
Bank1-Sensor1 , located before the catalytic converter, on the side of the motor that has the #1 cylinder
Bank1-Sensor2 , located after the catalytic converter, on the side of the motor that has the #1 cylinder
Bank2-Sensor1 , locate before the catalytic converter, on the opposite side of the motor that has the #1 cylinder
Bank2-sensor2 , located after the catalytic convert, on the opposite side of the motor that has the #1 cylinder

Now when you get a code , saying the O2S Bank1-Sensor1 is bad, you now know, that the location of the bad O2S is located on the side of the #1 cylinder, before the catalytic converter.

Knowing, makes the job a little easier.

OP
OP
MikeA

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I searched the forums for what the banks mean, nothing showed up as I posted.

Does your search show someone, explaining what the banks mean as I did?

OP
OP
MikeA

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I guess I apologize for reposting it.

What did you title the topic, I searched for , "what does bank 1 mean", "bank1", "bank2", used the key words, bank1 and bank2, all I seen was the key words in replies to problems, not one topic that says, what does bank mean.

People who do a search for what does bank1 or bank2 mean, there is no topic on it, they will have to scroll through a bunch of posts in other topics to find it. This would be awhole lot easier to find now.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Start SCROLLING Just because you can't find it doesn't mean its not there
Normally when I post something it is in response to someone's question Therefore I may not remember the topic of their question however I do remember my past responses.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read post #6 in the attached thread This is just one example of saying what is bank 1 and 2

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/o2-sensor-bad.20512/

The above thread was found by typing BANK 1 in search and then scrolling through yhr threads that came up The answer is there by doing search but the answer just pop up and smack you in the face unless you do more searching

That is a problem with the search function on this and other forums The information may be available but search doesn't give the results one is looking for so they assume the subject has never been discussed in the past

The information that you posted was very good info and as I said its been posted in the past. Except it is lost somewhere and hard to find. And most likely yours will get lost in time. And many months from now someone will come on asking what is meant by Bank 1 or Bank 2 and they will say they did a search and came up empty.

ascotth

Reaction score
slightly related question....I am replacing both sides of my exhaust from the manifolds back to where it goes back to
single...I want to replace all 4 sensors upon looking them up I found there are 2 kinds for my 2000 5.4 .... one heated and one not....any ideas which one I have? any way i can tell ? thanx guys for any help......scott

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say you most likely have heated sensors at least that is what the wiring diagram shows, a good way to tell is the heated sensors will have more (4) wires going to the connector than the non heated sensors (2) wires