What hitches are you using? Anyone using an EL with an EQ/31ft bunkhouse successfully?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daftdesigner

Reaction score
Hi there - new to the forums, which I turned to to get some help with towing info.

We have a 2016 Expy EL XLT 4wd and just purchased a Keystone 31ft Bunkhouse. I am using an Equalizer hitch but on its first run was sagging a lot in back. I have adjusted the hitch (which is very noisy) and while it helped, I am trying to learn more from others who have be doing this for a while.

I see others; setups appearing very level - was wondering what mods or adjustments others have done (especially with the EQ hitch) or what hitch others were using to tow.

I have a friend who is offering me up his Hensley Arrow for nothing - is it really as good as people claim?

Hope this is not too much to ask and so glad to have found this resource.

Thank you!

IMG_0689.jpg

BullittBrian

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here as well. I have a 2015 EL that we use for towing a 27' Bunkhouse. I found that when I hook up the bars on the hitch, it helps to get as many links down the chain as possible before you put any weight from the trailer on the hitch. That seems to help keep the trailer level and actually tows better.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull a 30' Apex Ultra Lite camper using and Equalizer WD hitch setup. Regular WB Platinum with the 22" wheels. I drop about an inch when attached. Trailer specs are 5977 lbs unloaded and we likely put 500 lbs of gear/provisions. Specs show a tongue weight of 672 lbs - likely a bit higher when loaded Empty tanks. No real issues if you use a little white lithium grease on the ball and the spring arm contact points to keep the creaking down.

Longest trip so far was 350 miles each way. On a shorter trip I had side winds for a good portion of the drive. 65 mph and all was good, just a few sways when a semi was passing and would suddenly block the wind. Always seemed like that drop in side wind wanted to suck me closer to the truck. Can't imagine what that would be like without the WD hitch and it's extra sway control.

Jimdar

Reaction score
Hi there - new to the forums, which I turned to to get some help with towing info.

We have a 2016 Expy EL XLT 4wd and just purchased a Keystone 31ft Bunkhouse. I am using an Equalizer hitch but on its first run was sagging a lot in back. I have adjusted the hitch (which is very noisy) and while it helped, I am trying to learn more from others who have be doing this for a while.

I see others; setups appearing very level - was wondering what mods or adjustments others have done (especially with the EQ hitch) or what hitch others were using to tow.

I have a friend who is offering me up his Hensley Arrow for nothing - is it really as good as people claim?

Hope this is not too much to ask and so glad to have found this resource.

Thank you!

View attachment 20620
I tow a 25" travel trailer with an 04 Expedition. I have been using the Equalizer hitch for over a decade. The Equalizer needs to be properly set up properly for your tow vehicle/trailer combo if you want it to tow level. There are adjustments to be made on the hitch itself and the trailer too. Having said that, if someone was offering to give me their Hensley Arrow I would jump at the opportunity. People that use them swear by them. However, if it isn't set up for your situation it also won't be level.

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
I tow a 29' TT with slide at 5900lbs empty with my 2007 EL and don't seem to have issues. I use the WD hitch from Harbor Freight and I agree...the more chain links you get in the better. When I went from 3 to 4 links it made a world of difference. You also have to set up the height on your hitch at the proper position.camper.jpg

briangelc

Reaction score
If your tow vehicle is sagging then your tongue weight possibly needs adjustment. The hitch will not affect the trailer' tongue weight, but a anti-sway or load-distributing hitch will help manage lateral forces. Also, dont carry a lot of crap in the truck when yo are towing. Overloaded rear axles burn out quicker, as do rear wheel bearings, tires, and differentials.
Buy a scale. Move some of your gear to the rear of the trailer (over or behind the trailer's axles) until the weight is withing the correct range.

KonaBean

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here as well. I have a 2015 EL that we use for towing a 27' Bunkhouse. I found that when I hook up the bars on the hitch, it helps to get as many links down the chain as possible before you put any weight from the trailer on the hitch. That seems to help keep the trailer level and actually tows better.

BullitBrian, what do you mean when you say "get as many links down the chain", do you mean keep the chain between the pin and the spring bar as short as possible? We are struggling with getting our 2015 Expy EL 4x4 with load-leveling set up so we don't exceed our rear GAWR.

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
Sorry, I am not familiar with that. The chain links we are referring to are on our weight distribution hitches.WD hitch.jpg