What hitches are you using? Anyone using an EL with an EQ/31ft bunkhouse successfully?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To all the members that have responded to the OP and this thread A BIG

THANK YOU

This is the first time I have seen other members give good advice about towing a RV

Normally there will be replies that tell a OP he can tow anything with the expy or the answer is that they tow 10 to 15k with no problems

I would normally suggest to an OP that they go to a RV forum and ask questions of people that tow RV's on a regular basis. That way they will get better answers and information on towing, hitch set-up etc.

I also noticed that the responses that were provided in this thread were from some new members and some older members but most that replied have very few post/

And again THANK YOU for the very informative replies.

One thing I would suggest about towing and sway is when a big rig is passing you.
Keep to the far right of your lane as possible and also the next time that you fell you are being sucked over towards the big rig Try and increase you speed by about 2 to 3 MPH just at the time when the big rigs cab is by your drivers door This will not affect the big rig but will cause your weight to shift rearward and also cause a brake in the vacuum between your rig and the big rig.

Also the information in the attached link is good to know about weights

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f37/how-to-weigh-your-tv-tt-3871.html#post24549

briangelc

Reaction score
wow it is amazing how some people here don't even know what these devices do, or how they work, yet they are hauling around 35ft trailers. I recommend that anyone who doesnt understand tongue weight or GVW go back to their RV dealers and ask them to set up the trailer properly. Also learn how to pack your trailer so that it does not change the tongue weight that you measured at the dealership.
These trucks were not designed for 1200+lb tongue weights. You will break your truck!
Also, it would be wise to monitor Transmission Fluid Temperature. Any vehicle without a TFT gauge can be instantly monitored by using a Scangauge II. These are $160 at Walmart.com. They just plug into the OBDII port under the steering wheel, and also double as a code reader. Plus it gives MPG's and displays many other gauges that Expeditions lack.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can tow anything with an Expy and tow 10-15k with no problems

KonaBean

Reaction score
I plugged our weight #s into

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f37/how-to-weigh-your-tv-tt-3871.html#post24549

(I made a spreadsheet out of it) as well as this one

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

and both of them seem to indicate that we need to take gear out of the truck and load it into the trailer, over the axle. And/or take less stuff with us!

But with the right load balancing we should have no problem getting our rear axle weight down and front axle weight up.

When we are done with this I may write a manual for newbies, while I still remember what I didn't know and when I didn't know it.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 35' toy hauler and when we travel we load everything in the garage of the trailer. I mean everything. I have my wallet and phone, wife has her purse and my kids have their Ipads, that's it as far as the expedition goes. Everything else goes in the trailer, luggage, coolers, kids bikes and toys, food etc. I would rather be at max on the trailer weight then max out the load capacity of the Expedition plus the trailer.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No.
No.
No.
Please check your owner's manual. Towing limits vary with year/submodel/engine/rear diff ratio, etc.
These sorts of replies are not accurate.

Ugh!! I was just being sarcastic in reply to an earlier post.

I'm well aware of the limitations of my Expedition

ludlow

Reaction score
I have a 2014 EL with the HD tow package. I tow an Apex 30ft bunkhouse. Dry weight is ~5000lb, loaded weight ~6000lb with ~630lb tongue weight. I use a four point Equalizer. There are actually two hitches called Equalizer. The E2 only has pivot points at the bars on the camper tongue, this is sold by Fastway. The only adjustment for this is the height of the L brackets.
94-00-1001-500x500.jpg

The "true" Equalizer has pivots at the camper tongue and the hitch head.
equal-i-zer%20sway%20control%20hitch.png

I have the later type. There are different weight classifications for this type as well. This hitch has adjustments at the camper tongue (height of the L bracket) and at the hitch head (angle of the ball and bar brackets) that affect how the load is distributed. The L brackets are adjusted by bolt holes, the hitch head is adjusted by adding or removing washers and then torquing the mounting bolts.

If you haven't done so I would suggest reading through the installation manuals and setting up the hitch according to the manual. It took a few adjustments to get the measurement on my front wheels to be where it needed to, but well worth the time spent.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manuals/6k-14k-owners-manual

I also added Sumo springs on my rear coils.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Ve...-pc-Jounce~Style_Springs-pm-SuperSprings.aspx

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357