What oil filter do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to change the engine oil for the first time since I bought my 2005 Expy. The prior owner used synthetic oil so I am going to use it as well, Mobil 1 is what I got. Anyway I am trying to confirm the proper oil filter for the 5.4 engine, the one that is on it is all white and has no markings. I checked a Fram book at Walmart and it says PH8 or PH2 depending on the thread size, can anyone confirm what the proper part # is for the Fram extraguard filter I need?

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
usually it will tell you which one for which engine. never seen 2 with different thread counts/size....

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
stay AWAY from fram they break apart internally and clog up some oil passages. I use motorcraft personally no problems. FL-820S is the motorcraft number. I believe they been using them since 96/97 to present 4.6 and 5.4 V8 on all fordmoco vehicles.

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, FL-820S. Some of the Walmarts have a little computer (instead of the large book) that gives you filter types, oil capacity, and weight.

Last edited:

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
stay AWAY from fram they break apart internally and clog up some oil passages. I use motorcraft personally no problems. FL-820S is the motorcraft number. I believe they been using them since 96/97 to present 4.6 and 5.4 V8 on all fordmoco vehicles.

So you had a Fram filter break internally on you?

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea some scary shit when u pull ur filter off and all the filter elemnt falls out when u go to drain it.

OP
OP
E

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our local Walmart has Motorcraft but not the FL-820S size. I have used Fram for 15 years and never had one fail, but not saying it can't happen. Anyone know who makes the filters for Ford?

I noted that Fram has a new Xtended Guard filter advertised as being designed for use with full synthetic oil, suposedly allows longer time between changes. Anyone have experience with this filter? They are $8 which is certainly more expensive but could be worth every penny if it cleans the oil better.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our local Walmart has Motorcraft but not the FL-820S size. I have used Fram for 15 years and never had one fail, but not saying it can't happen. Anyone know who makes the filters for Ford?

I noted that Fram has a new Xtended Guard filter advertised as being designed for use with full synthetic oil, suposedly allows longer time between changes. Anyone have experience with this filter? They are $8 which is certainly more expensive but could be worth every penny if it cleans the oil better.

I have also heard lots of bad stories about Fram filters, Motorcraft makes the filters for Ford.