What oil/filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We gotta get you some better tools! Yow! That hurt just reading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had tools slip, cause all kind of injury. One of the worst ones years back, I had a cheap 3/8 inch ratchet slip when I was breaking loose a bolt. I know should have used a breaker bar. It was so bad the pain it inflicted, I threw it into San Francisco Bay. I never used cheap tools after that.

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hahaha! I can't tell you how many wrenches/ ratchets/etc have earned "frequent flyer miles" across the street into the neighbors yard. She was always kind enough to bring them back over. Hahaha She seemed to get more of a kick out of it than get mad about finding them.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You learn after awhile why Snap-on and Matco charges so much. They don't turn your cars nuts and bolts into knuckle busters. I always tell friends and anyone that wants to listen. The larger stuff above 15 mm you can get away with the lower priced stuff, but spring the cash for the smaller sizes. Cuts down on your neighbor from being a Golden Retriever with your tools!

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is an awesome thread and I've learned a lot. We have a 2014 5.4 w/ almost 55k. I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 and a Motorcraft filter. I was planning to switch to Mobil 1 filter at next oil change as well, but may stick with Motorcraft.

I've notice that a lot of people are using 10-w30, based on their climate. I live in the dirty south (Georgia), should I be using 10-w30? If so, is there any harm in switching? I change it every 6,000 miles religiously. I was about to stop changing it myself because the cost has gone up to almost $10/qt at Autozone and Advanced. Because of this thread I checked out Wal-Mart, and am able to get it there for about half the cost! That's good news because from a "mechanical" standpoint, an oil change is about all I can do.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check Napa auto parts. Every other month or so they offer Mobil 1 for $5.99 a qt. I usual stock up with 4 6 packs of 5 w/30 wt.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
should I be using 10-w30?.

The 10 represents the cold viscosity. 10 is twice 5. As either warm up, the viscosity thickens to 30. Some of that transition takes place at low temps (like ambient), and I'm not sure what temps exactly, but there's a good chance that even on those hot days in GA, 10w-30 is still thicker at start up than 5w-30.

I'd stick with 5w-30. Heck, 0w-30 if you can find it. I know they make 0w-20.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normally I don't think a higher viscosity oil would be a problem. Hell I used to run castrol 20/50 oil in all my 5.0 liter mustangs year round . But 1 I live near San Francisco, where it never gets colder than 37 degrees ever. 20/50 is good down to 32 degrees. That being said, on these crazy modular motors that are famous for oiling problems, I wouldn't go less than 5/30 in the winter months. My ex is from Atlanta, so I'm aware of the April thru October heat/humidity. You can try during the summer season going up to 10/40 weight. If you notice any noise or problems, you might want to go back to 5/30. Mobil 1 is stable to way over 12,000 miles, but 6,000 is about the max I would change it. I also run same oil, and just to play it safe, I drop mine at about 4,000, just to make sure it's real clean.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appreciate the info! I can't imagine going 12k miles between changes either, but I'm sure plenty of folks do. Seems like a recipe for disaster down the road (literally). Also, do you guys use Lucas Oil fuel treatment, if so, how often? Do you notice a difference? Where is the cheapest place to get it?