What oil/filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anybody who spends any more money on oil crapola than they have to is an idiot!!
I'm running leftover vegetable oil through a roll of TP in a jelly jar.
so far, so good.

Willshooter3

Reaction score
Had been running Motorcraft oil and filters.
Couldn't get what I needed anywhere locally, needed to change my oil, used Quaker State Semi-Synthetic hi-mileage and a Fram Ph2 filter.
That was a lot cheaper, I am interested to see what it looks like in 6,000 miles.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Valvoline Max Life High Millage oil and Motorcraft filter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once I switched from a 5W-20 to a 0W-30 the 5.4 finally sounded like it should. I personally think the resulting touch increase in oil pressure is enough to help out the starvation issues in the top end. And this oil is 'thin' enough to perform well in any climate, year-round. Shell's current highest tech commercial oil is Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3. Also known as Quaker State UD 0W-30. Also known as Pennzoil Platinum Plus Euro LX 0W-30 and also known as Motomaster OEM Plus Euro LX 0W-30. In simple terms, this oil is built from the best stock, has excellent viscosity in cold and hot (ambient and engine), and unsurpassed durability (if required). Yes it is marketed as a low ash oil for diesel and GDI/turbo engines but the different additive pack is I think, higher quality and more expensive to meet the specifications. Bottom line I learned look for Porsche A40 or C30 rating. Very stringent yet maintains minimum shear (resistance to wear under load) ratings. For those of use that like wringing out the modulars. I have a 4.6 Mustang tuned w bolt-ons I race and is pretty much screaming the entire time it is going. It's getting the 0W-30 next change as well. The oil is that good on paper and analysis show it's great stuff. Look for the blended in Germany or Canada stuff. Helix Ultra also available in 5W-30 and 0W-40 and maybe 5W-40. All great options. But the 0W-30 is the best technology offers currently, from my research; and makes the motor sound healthy, is best way to describe it. And don't get me started on rattles and misfires and ticks from loose plugs. Been through it all. Now I'm at 298K KM, just got a 5-Star tune and the truck runs best it's ever, ever, ran. Can't wait to see how dirty the oil is, going to have a glance at 5K (KM) but planning on 10K KM OCI - oil change intervals.

Filters. A recent corona-education session on bob is the oil guy forum. I've always used Motocraft 820S but looking at many cut-outs I can see the advantage to moving to a premium filter with mesh supporting the paper filter material. 820S does not have that. Nor the Motocraft 500. Nor the Ford Racing 820. So I might try the Fram Ultra next. I have heard from multiple places the Hastings filters historically worked well on 5.4's. I'd feel comfortable with a Wix XP as well. I run the same filter on Mustang as I do on the truck but might switch to a racing filter because of extremely unique usage. Do not use racing filters on street cars, to make a long story short.

I do wish I had a real oil pressure guage. My two cents.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the K&N filter because I get discounts on them, and if your oil filter is stuck and you can get a hand in there, I use a fishing glove I bought that has rubber on the fingers and palm, gives you plenty of grip.