What oil/filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil is like a guys taste in women, they vary a lot. Whether you use a conventional or semi, or full synthetic, just change it often. I know 7500 to 10,000 mile oil changes seem so tempting, but if you want to see some real high trouble free engine life, drop it often, keep it clean. Still no substitute for clean living! You rarely find a drinking, high fat eating individual living a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bacon and whiskey for breakfast?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I have every morning since 21, I'm 62 now! Sinatra drank a quart of Jack Daniels everyday, he lived till 86, oh yeah smoked like a chimney, only missed one recording session.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I have every morning since 21, I'm 62 now! Sinatra drank a quart of Jack Daniels everyday, he lived till 86, oh yeah smoked like a chimney, only missed one recording session.

There's a lot of different 62s. ;) At 62 my grandfather was a heavy smoker, but he was also very active and looked great for his age with probably around 20% body fat and some visible muscle tone. On the other hand, by the time my dad hit 62 he was ~300 lbs, about 50% body fat and could barely walk. A few years later and he can barely even stand now. And then you have hardcore fitness fanatics like this guy (known as "oldsuperman") who at 59 looks better than most of us (me included) looked at 20. :D

2803331e.jpg

My point? There's surviving and there's thriving - for both us and our trucks. ;)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was kidding about the bacon and booze. Just responding to our resident Marine! If I have anything besides oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, I'm a train wreck the rest of the day. I have my heavier meal, at the Dinner time. I like my beer, sometimes Seagrams VO, it's Canadian, and you know where Moose are plentiful!

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Over the past 5 months I have had both of my hips "reconstructed", right one in August and left one in December. I have been sequestered to bed and the couch as I recuperate. With all this extra time I figured I would make an attempt at being usefull. So, I continue to research on the oil and filter subject and have taken to reviewing a wide expanse of other forums. General concensus is as follows:

MotorCraft filters are excellent and highest recommendations. Have specific bypass spring with most consistent performance.

WIX filters, AMSOIL filters, Purolator white filters are all top tier performers.

Fram, ac delco, K&N and store brand filters were low performers.

As for oil, there is a TON of difference in opinion. One thing that remained constant was peoples geographic location in regards to oil viscosity. Most northern states and Canada ran 5w30/0w30year round. Turns out until the CAFE push, 5w30 was THE oil for mod motors. Southern states and southwest states seemed to lean towards 5w40/15w40 and some people even leaning into 20w50. In the racing and severe mod forums, people have been running the high end oils (Brad Penn, Motul, AMSOIL) and Rotella T6 (add on forced induction being most common). One universal acceptance is that with the 30 and 40 viscosity oils the "Ford tick" went away immediately, with no negative affects on the timing chain tensioners or the VVT.

As always there were the "so you think you are smarter than a Ford Engineer" crowd who uses strictly Motorcraft 5w20 and nothing else. But, a bunch of these people also used whatever filters were on sale.

After All this reading and difference of opinion I am going to conduct a test of my own. I am almost due for an oil change, so i will pull a Used Oil Analysis sample and ship it off to Blackstone. This oil change I am going to switch to Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w40 with the MotorCraft filter. Going to change it after 500 miles (its a higher detergent oil and I don't want to skew results of further testing) and then refill with the Rotella and go 3k miles. At that point I will pull another UOA sample and send for testing. Then continue to run that oil out to the 5k and 7.5k mark, pull samples at each of those milestonesand have it tested. This way I will have a detailed analysis over the typical course of recomended oil change intervals.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your hips. Years back a oil company, I believe it was Pennzoil or Castrol, can't remember, did an oil wear test on two New York City taxi cabs. I believe they were Ford crown Victoria's with 4.6 modular motors. They ran both cabs hard, typical taxi driver usual, for 100k. One cab they ran the brand name conventional oil, the other, a bargain oil like Flag brand from Oreillys, formerly Kragen. After the 100 k, they dismantled both engines down to the crankshaft. They found 0 difference in wear between the 2 engines. A third taxi was also tested, but used full synthetic. Their was a big difference, basically that taxi had no wear on bearings, cylinder walls, etc. I may be off on the mileage that they tested these 3, but they all had regular oil changes. Not sure what filters they used, but I'm assuming it was a quality one. Years back when I worked with a cab company, our 4.6 crown Vic's would routinely go to the mandatory 350k with original engines before we had to pull them from service. If

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your hips. Years back a oil company, I believe it was Pennzoil or Castrol, can't remember, did an oil wear test on two New York City taxi cabs. I believe they were Ford crown Victoria's with 4.6 modular motors. They ran both cabs hard, typical taxi driver usual, for 100k. One cab they ran the brand name conventional oil, the other, a bargain oil like Flag brand from Oreillys, formerly Kragen. After the 100 k, they dismantled both engines down to the crankshaft. They found 0 difference in wear between the 2 engines. A third taxi was also tested, but used full synthetic. Their was a big difference, basically that taxi had no wear on bearings, cylinder walls, etc. I may be off on the mileage that they tested these 3, but they all had regular oil changes. Not sure what filters they used, but I'm assuming it was a quality one. Years back when I worked with a cab company, our 4.6 crown Vic's would routinely go to the mandatory 350k with original engines before we had to pull them from service. If

I vaguely remember that study. From what I remember that was synthetics were first being commercialized to the civilian markets. Had to be almost 20 years ago.

I have had my own experiences with higher quality oils and the Rotella Synthetic won me over with my Subaru. So, we'll see what we get for results here.

Thanks for your input.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lot of our members have had good results with the diesel oil. Even Harley Davidson recommended it. I used a 55 gallon drum of it in my fleet of 2004 Harley's, not an issue with any of them.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How does the premium Fram filter compare? Does it have any more flutes? What about a silicone seal?