What oil/filter do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try doing a timing belt on an Audi A6. Got to remove the whole front bumper/ facia. Takes about 8 hours minimum. Wonder why the 90 k service costs $3,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEOL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, im not sure about any OEM updates... but i have experienced aftermarket junk timing cassettes with an 4.0 SOHC i had... and ive seen some complaints on the same aftermarket quality or lack of... regarding the 5.4 timing components... so as sad as it seems i would probably be forced to go with OEM replacements and hope they last another 150k unless anyone has experience with any aftermarket replacements being better. and yes, ohhhh yes moose... unfortunately im very farmilliar with audi's. last i was wrenching, i was working in aspen where a good percentage of the vehicles were higher end brands, audi, bmw, porche, land rovers.... the only upside to that area was there was a lot of toyota... personally i grew up a ford and harley kinda guy, but honestly if i ever buy a new off the line vehicle again... it will probably be a toyota truck. they just last, and are generally more pleasant to work on than other vehicles, (if and when they even need work, lol). which is why they hold value.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sad in this day of unbelievable technology, that we can't comfortably buy an American product. We all know that Manufacturers need to make big profits to keep the doors open, but we're willing to pay $60-70 grand for a car/truck, build it as good or better than the Japanese/ Germans! This is what happened back in the 70's, when everyone switched over to little Datsun, and Toyota's. luckily our full sized Ford, and Chevys, were built well. It almost makes you wonder if the big three here, get some kind of incentive from Asia, or Europe, so theirs sell over here.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys,
just a quick response for the question about oil pumps. The Melling oil pump, Brian with FordTechmakuloco recommends the M360 and that I am sure is a good choice. I contacted Melling directly and they recommended the M340 for my 05 Expedition. Both great quality pumps and proven a higher quality then the Ford units that are crapping out. And part of the Ford oil pump problem is like Moose indicated, broken timing rails that are plugging up the oil screen pickup. The Melling pumps have cast iron backs which allow less flexing where as the Ford pumps are all aluminum and watching reviews from Melling and others the aluminum flexes too much which creates improper oil control.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Melling is a older manufacturer with a quality part. Thanks Gary for the info, it should help anyone with a second or 3rd gen, that's experiencing oiling problems.

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys,
just a quick response for the question about oil pumps. The Melling oil pump, Brian with FordTechmakuloco recommends the M360 and that I am sure is a good choice. I contacted Melling directly and they recommended the M340 for my 05 Expedition. Both great quality pumps and proven a higher quality then the Ford units that are crapping out. And part of the Ford oil pump problem is like Moose indicated, broken timing rails that are plugging up the oil screen pickup. The Melling pumps have cast iron backs which allow less flexing where as the Ford pumps are all aluminum and watching reviews from Melling and others the aluminum flexes too much which creates improper oil control.

Great info! I'm getting ready to do timing chains on both my Expedition and the wife's 4.6 Exploder. Looking at the Cloyes set for both. Might try to sneak a set of cams into the Expedition if I can do it without wifey finding out.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yep, Melling is a great pump and have been for years, and so far appear American made, mine was anyway.

USMC,
sorry, I didn't answer about the Cloyes timing sets. Good quality, you shouldn't have any problems with them. Cloyes are China made now tho.

Don't get too crazy on the cams. Contact Comp, Doug Herbert or other cam manufacturers on choices and possible computer upgrades because of cam upgrades.

I mentioned Doug Herbert as a cam choice mostly because the respect I had for his father Chet, and figured the nut don't fall too far from the tree. Chet was a cam designer back in the days of my racing, 60's, 70's and he was very helpful in cutting cams for you or recommending cams. He was the first I believe to make the roller cam. He based it on the Harley's he was racing at the time, setting many salt flat records. His health deteriorated and was in a wheel chair for most of his life, but still an advocate for making engines go faster.

Actually let me upgrade a little more, I know getting kind of windy.

On the topic of camshafts. Please remember that an engine upgrade is a combination of all parts involved, they have to match for the performance desired. So its based on the intake through and to the exhaust. The modular engines actually already have a pretty good cam and heads. And that cam will flow all the air those heads can use, without boost. Upgrading cams to more lift and duration "most generally" moves the torque and power curve upward in the RPM range, which is really not want you want in a heavy town driven rig. And with todays fuel injection can mess with computer controls and mellow out that NASCAR sound we would like to think we want. My recommendation after years of building engines is leave the cams alone. You will spend thousands and in this particular engine not get much if any results.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My typing is horrible as I have bandaids and med tape on both thumbs. I'm a mess.

Use superglue or clear nail polish unless its bad enough to need serious stitches

Bandaids on hands never work as needed anyway, get wet or dirty and only compound the problem

OP
OP
U

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually use a quality bandaid and some electrical tape. I don't typically worry about small cuts and scrapes unless they are deep and require some attention. The left thumb was a razor knife slice and the right thumb had gotten smashed when the 34mm socket on a 24" breaker bar slipped and my thumb caught the brunt against another front diff. Broke the nail and blew out the meat on the top side. It NEEDED a bandaid.