What psi for optimal balance of MPG and ride comfort on LT-rated A/T tires (bfg ko2)???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear from truck guys that it's DEFINITELY not in the 30s like the door suggests for any LT tire...

Any suggestions?

And if you got suggested Rancho settings to go with your recommended psi, I might even consider naming my firstborn after you :)

Currently running ~38-40 w/ ranchos set to 3 or 4... rides kinda bouncy and the BFGs look a tad flat. Also, speedbumps and turns make the tires squeal, not sure if that's related though. Tried dropping the ranchos to 1 all around as an experiment, highway handling became almost scary loose like a Toyota

Oldnerdguy

Reaction score
Are the new tires C or E load rated? E is similar to yester-year's 10 ply rating.
Were your stock tires C rated?
If C was stock and new ones are E, the max inflation number is very different, so the running pressure will be different.
I had a similar issue on my truck.
Stock tires were C rated, door said 35psi. Max pressure allowed in the tire was 44.
New tires were E rated. Max pressure 80psi.
I set the new ones at 35 and it was not good. There was a lot of tire movement / sway around corners and really bad when braking in a turn.
I found an article saying to use the stock tire's ratio of suggested and max. 35 / 44 = 0.795
0.795 * 80 = 63.4.
So I started there but it seemed a bit to rigid. I lowered the pressure a little at time til it seemed right.
I played around with the pressure up and down a little but I ended up at 55.
I add pressure when towing.

Good luck. It may be a lot of trial and error.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chalk test.

Thats for highway passenger tires and especially summer runflats.....All Terrain Mud+Snow LT tires aren't designed to be inflated for a full contact pach with flat tarmac, the tread pattern towards the side is for deep snow and mud traction and rock ejection

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a book that lists all the tire size cross references from passenger to LT pressures. List on here the stock size and the new size and I'll give you the pressure. On another note I tried running the LT tires on my '06 Expy and hated them, the ride quality was not the same even with the proper cross referenced pressures. Took them off within a week.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stock allegedly as per sticker: P265/70r17 @ 35 psi

Current running: LT265/70r17 @ 52 psi

Note: GVWR is classified as 7500 lbs, but vehicle originally only came with 2 rows of seating now has 3

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stock allegedly as per sticker: P265/70r17 @ 35 psi

Current running: LT265/70r17 @ 52 psi

Note: GVWR is classified as 7500 lbs, but vehicle originally only came with 2 rows of seating now has 3

According to the information I have, P265/70R 17 @ 35-44 psi the load capacity is 2535 lbs. Above 35 psi the load capacity does not increase only the stiffness of the ride.
LT265/70R 17 @ 50 psi load capacity is 2470 lbs
@ 55 psi it is 2595 lbs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze