What to look for when buying a gen 1 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't get me started on ball joints. They're easy enough to replace, sure, and there's a lifetime alignment service available, but it's a pain in the neck to have the truck at Firestone once a week while they guess the alignment angles over and over.

I'd also be ready for corroded light sockets. Make sure you have access to a decent self service junkyard so you can go pick out some good sockets. Mine are corroded in the running boards and in the cyclop light. I've already had one 194LED try to quit working due to that. A little soldering was all it took to fix, but the corrosion is still there.

Dunno if broken lumbar supports were mentioned.

Most of the weird stuff I had going wrong was easily fixed with a trip to Pull A Part. The basic stuff like alternators and front end work and tranny work and whatnot were fixed lifetime warrantied new parts and elbow grease.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

most likely both 2001 5.4 that exhaust manifold needs replaced Pass. Side studs rusted off

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely look for cracked exhaust manifolds and studs, rotten surfaces around where the manifold are bolted to the block.

Symptoms... knocks/ticks when cold and gets quieter as it warms, smells like exhaust, looks blue, and/or is pretty rusty. You'll also see bubbles if you spray it with a little water before startup but I'd only recommend using room temp water on cold manifolds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't vouch for how often this happens but I may be right in saying it'll be the rear most ones that break off first as on my '97 expy the back studs are broken on both banks...

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Along with exhaust I'd definitely check all fluids before buying one. Look for milky engine oil, oil in radiator and/or overflow, check for signs of overheating. Always check plugs, wires, coil packs etc... but my best advice is take a mechanic with you or bring someone who is more knowledgeable and ALWAYS take a code reader with you!

Check for codes right in front of seller! A $20 code reader can save you thousands later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a note on moisture in oil. If there is abit of milky stuff on the cap or the dipstick. drive it about 50 miles especially if the owner mentions not driving it often. sometimes just getting it up to temperature will tell if there is an internal leak or if it's just condensation build up from lack of driving.

friend of a friend just scored a pickup for 500 because of moisture (he was at $1200) when they got home with it there were no signs of moisture and oil level was normal.

tjaltlm

Reaction score
Just an FYI for everyone-Habor freight is giving away free small items again this month-I'm stocking up on free LED flashlights!!! You have to go to their website and print the coupon,but thats it!